1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Books/Amaechi

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Franklin, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

haven't seen this in any of the amaechi threads, but forgive me if it has come up: what do you think of the fact that ESPN is publishing amaechi's book? the WWL is, like or not, a big-time agenda setter. obviously it suits their interest to make the most of a story that they could benefit from financially. anyone find this bad?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't believe this didn't come up before.

No doubt the story has legs of its own, regardless of the publisher. But since Joe Viewer doesn't really realize that ESPN's frenetic reporting of this Major Event is just hyper-hype to sell a book, it's stunningly disingenuous, if not flat-out dishonest, ifthey don't state they're the publisher of the book during every single report.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

here's what chaps my backside: amaechi hasn't talked to anyone except espn. i have to believe that's because espn doesn't want him talking to anyone until the book and inevitable espn the mag story come out. and that ain't right.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Franklin,

Disclosure: I draw cheques from The Mouse. That said, I think it's safe to presume that ESPN Books would be no different than any other publisher in securing exclusivity prior to publication. No publisher wants its author letting the cat out of the bag. Maybe you don't think that's right but that's just the way the business operates. And ESPN didn't have Amaechi agree to the terms at gunpoint.

I saw Amaechi about four weeks back on BBC. God, by his version of events, Jerry Sloan must be a complete jerk. He accused Amaechi of hating white people--which is a bit of stretch since his mother (single mom, a Dr if memory serves) is white.

YHS, etc

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

i agree completely about a publisher rightfully demanding exclusivity, but the thing that strikes me as offputting is that espn is benefitting from the fact that this is a big news story when they're playing a crucial role in making it news. i just wonder how different the coverage would be if amaechi's book deal were with simon and schuster. of course, it's cycnical of me to think that espn's sole motivation is selling books--this is news, don't get me wrong. i just would feel better if espn--which, because the net plays such a pivotal role in deciding what's news and what isn't (if it leads sportscenter, it's going to get play from everyone else, no matter what it is)--didn't stand to cash in on the story.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, to be fair, ESPN knows that if they cover something like it's the story of the year, the other papers will follow suit...

How many papers will change how they feel about what goes out front if something leads SportsCenter?

The answer is probably a lot more than people are willing to admit...

7. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I was thinking about this watching his interview before. For all of this to have been in the works, Amaechi would have had to make some kind of announcement quite some time ago before he was able to write the book and have it published. I mean, there's no way ESPN would have said "Hey, John, write a book" and then find out later he's gay. I'm just shocked they were able to sit on that information for so long without releasing anything.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

ESPN can pat itself on the back all they want in claiming they are reporting news in the process and therefore everything is on "the up and up," but that is all hogwash.

If ESPN really was a news agency on this story, it would have reported Ameachi's homesexuality as soon as they had confirmed the story presumably months ago, not holding onto it until the book was written and released. And, yes, they should be disclosing their ties to the book and the author every time they report it.

This is opportunitistic marketing masquerading as "journalism." A mixture of junk journalism and political correctness at its best, er, worst.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Are you saying Bob Woodward now works for ESPN? :D

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Benefitting?
    I'd say creating.
    I never saw this as a "big news story." The network wants to make it so to help move the book. It's been on ESPN radio, the TV network, etc. About the only ESPN show that's kept it in perspective has been PTI, but then, their format would give the end of civilization 90 seconds before the bell would ring and it'd be time to do the penguin dance.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This may be a good book. As news, it's an interesting tidbit.

Any sports editor who thinks it's a huge deal because ESPN is hyping it is an idiot.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted