1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Announcer To Black NASCAR Crew Member: "Tap Dance For Us"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

This weekend's NASCAR race at Pocono was delayed at the start by rain and the ESPN team was forced to fill the first 30 minutes of the broadcast with banter and discussion. At approximately 1:38 PM EST, they start an interview with the "over-the-wall reporter" for the day Kenyatta Houston — a pit crew member for Kevin Harvick and graduate of the NASCAR Drive for Diversity program.

The conversation is fairly normal until, out of nowhere, one of the broadcasters says: "We call this in the television business the tap-dance and people know we can't dance. Can you... gotta little tap for us down there?"

Houston, for his part, is able to whip up a short dance before returning to work. It was an odd moment and Jalopnik readers weren't the only one to notice. Matt McLaughlin over at Front Stretch also picked up on this strangeness and noted the double standard:

During the rain delay, an ESPN broadcaster asked a black crew member if he could tap dance. Oddly enough, I can't recall any white crew members being asked to do so.

Funny, we can't either. Can anyone identify the voice of the broadcaster? The main announcers are Rusty Wallace, Allen Bestwick, and Brad Daugherty with Andy Petree, Dale Jarrett, and Marty Reid on the play-by-play.

UPDATE: Some of our commenters think it's Marty Reid. We agree, it sounds most like him.
    http://jalopnik.com/5602629/espn-announcer-to-black-nascar-crew-member-tap-dance-for-us

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Completely innocuous in context. I find announcers who refer to black running backs avoiding tacklers as "jitterbugging" more troublesome.

Reminded me of an interview with Dule Hill who is a trained tap dancer and danced on a recent episode of Psych. They asked him why he never danced on The West Wing - he said being one of the few black people on the show, he didn't think it was appropriate to be tap dancing in the Oval Office.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I didn't know there was any racial undertones to the word "jitterbug" And if there was, I'd have thought that Wham! killed them off years ago.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Besides coaches do not like running backs that "jitterbug". With closing speed of LB's and DB's nowadays backs need to hit the hole and turn on the jets.
    No pussyfooting or Jitterbugging.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

These guys? The poster-children of the family values crowd?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Outing alert: Deeper Background is Jesse Jackson.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I fail to see racist intent in that segment.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was Mr. Bo Gangles written in the 70s or 60s?

Does Steve Smith eat there?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is racist, but it's certainly "racial" if you say that "everyone knows we can't dance" but ask a black dude to boogie for you.

You don't see that?

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Dule Hill should be a household name.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Were George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley the inspirations for the C. Thomas Howell movie "Soul Man"?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

In the early 1990s, when ESPN needed to fill time during a NASCAR rain delay, all they had to do was interview DW. First as DW the driver, then as DW the car owner. He did quite the Junior Johnson impersonation.
    Here's one example:

Draft saved Draft deleted