1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN’s Best College Hoops Hires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, Apr 30, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Generally solid list. I’d say Bennett and Few should be higher because the programs they took over were not exactly blue bloods.
    There is one on this list who has no business being proclaimed a great hire just yet. Take a look and chime in with your guess.

Ranking the 25 best college basketball coaching hires of the past 25 years

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Penny Hardaway is getting a lot of credit there for one recruiting class.

I don't know that I would have Sean Miller on this list.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

If he can have Pitino on that list, he should include Beilein and Stevens

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It says active coaches only. So no Beilein or Stevens.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Beilein clearly would have been if eligible.

"They must know something in Morgantown, because the Mountaineers' past two hires have been Huggins and John Beilein. Not bad at all."

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They’re wrong on Jaime Dixon. Best hire at Pitt in the last 25 years was Ben Howland, who went to back-to-back sweet 16s and brought in Dixon as an assistant.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was on the road with Northern Arizona when Howland took that job. I technically broke the story but working for a tiny daily with no real web presence, you wouldn't have known it. Ha.

Liut likes this.
  8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Pleasantly surprised to see Leonard Hamilton so high.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Took Leonard a while to get going and fight off the dopey FSU fans who wanted him fired every year. But once he found a groove with the players he wanted that were talented and mostly willing to stay 3-4 years, he's got an annual tournament program.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

And getting an annual highly-ranked one-and-done (or quick-developing two-and-done like Devin Vassell and Dwayne Bacon) who is willing to play in an ensemble rotation because he knows he’ll get to develop as a defender: Jon Isaac, Patrick Williams, Scottie Barnes ...

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Obviously I'm double-biased but what the fuck has Penny won at Tiger High, and how can Rick Barnes be left off, given what he inherited, given that he had the Vols at No. 1 for a month and now has Tennessee's recruiting class at a schools-best No 4 for next year (I'd tell you where Memphis is ranked but I quit looking at No. 50.).

Draft saved Draft deleted