1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Salvatore, dean of Huntington (W.Va) sports dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Just got back to town, and back on the grid. ... I read this morning that long, long, long time Huntington (W.Va) sports institution Ernie Salvatore, died Friday. He was 87.
    Ernie, a Conn., native came to Huntington in the 1940s and never left. He married a fellow newspaperwoman and raised five kids.
    He served as a writer, editor and columnist presiding over the Huntington sports scene, including Marshall University, for more than 60 years.
    He was one of the first reporters to arrive at the 1970 MU plane crash site.
    Marshall recently dedicated the press box in his honor.
    He was a nice fellow, known for his snazzy shoes, and will be missed.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x1517857735/Sports-institution-Salvatore-dies

Chuck Landon's column, paying homage to Ernie.
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1227379152/Chuck-Landon-No-last-name-needed

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Most of us won't live anywhere close to being 87. Sounds like he had a life well lived.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wow, what a life. RIP, Ernie. I just watched "We Are Marshall" a couple weeks ago and wondered what ever became of the Huntington sportswriter portrayed in the film. Guess I know now.

4. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I had always had that wonder as well. Rest in peace, Ernie. Sounds like he left quite an impact.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I interviewed at the Herald-Dispatch many years ago, and had the pleasure of meeting Ernie during my visit. We shared stories of the former Division I coach who played at Marshall (and is my distant cousin, which is how the discussion started). Ernie and I were on diametrically opposite sides of several sports issues, but he always was a fascinating guy to debate. RIP, Ern.

Draft saved Draft deleted