1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ernie Pyle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Wow.

http://tinyurl.com/yqegvj

On a nice summer day, I took the wife on a country drive to the covered bridge land in Indiana. First, we stopped in Dana, Ind. to visit the Ernie Pyle museum. Although it's often hurting for funding, it's fairly impressive in what really is just a smattering of houses along a highway.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw that photo yesterday... is eerie...

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The AP story was so damn short. It was just spooky all around.
    Who took the pic? Nobody was ID'd as having done so in the pic.
    It mentioned (in so many words) that the Army photog who snapped it was ordered to keep it under wraps by higher-ups.
    Whole story was maybe 6 grafs.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Try this:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCwUTF7rAGKUvJMQaIvFlNasu95QD8UJ0THG0

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

No. Is Ernie.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

dah-dum-ting

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

What struck me about the image, and strikes me still, is the weird placidity of it. It seems - he seems - quite terribly, peaceful.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good story, but I don't understand this part:

Roberts went to the scene, and despite continuing enemy fire, crept forward — a "laborious, dirt-eating crawl," he later called it — to record the scene with his Speed Graphic camera. His risky act earned Roberts a Bronze Star medal for valor.

You mean to tell me they gave photog Roberts a Bronze Star for capturing the incident aftermath on film, but didn't release the pics for decades?
    Crazy stuff.

Thanks for the link.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. The military can be that way. It's in all the papers.

10. This piece also explains what the battle of Ie Shima was all about.
    I'd only known it as the place Ernie Pyle died.
    Dude could write, by the way.

11. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

When Pyle was working his way thru the Italian mountains he wrote of the death of a beloved and respected captain. Looking at the image and recalling his words sent a chill up my spine.

"You don't cover up dead men in the combat zone. They just lie there in the shadows until somebody else comes after them."

Sixty years later and he's still the kind of reporter many of us would like some day to be, but know we'll never get close.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I saw another story that said there was a photo of Pyle dead on a stretcher, but that it has disappeared.

After seeing what's happened to journos in Iraq, I'd just as soon make my bones as a reporter without having to give up my bones.

As a writer, I never understood Hemingway's romanticism of war.

Draft saved Draft deleted