1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin's 911 call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The girl makes a 911 call because she doesn't want the paparazzi getting any more unwanted crap on her circulating throughout the blogosphere, so instead the transcript of the 911 call itself ends up being the blogosphere scoop. Man, she just has no escape.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

21, i thought the same thing. it's just funny to see the transcript.

at some point she just has to come out and face the music. give a press conference and be as strong as you can in spite of the tape. the more she hides the worse the scrutiny will become.

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

The things she will hear at the next college game she does will top the depravity of any thread on this site, ever, bar none.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

She doesn't have any music to face. She got filmed, she filed a lawsuit, now it's up to the courts. You always hear people talk about how their lawyers told them not to comment on a case, so what would she talk about? Being a journalist?

Even worse, if she does a press conference, some will accuse her of calling attention to herself now that the story has somewhat died down. A flood of fresh pictures and soundbites would surely follow quickly. ESPN might even be accused of creating more buzz for its reporter if she holds a press conference.

When the college football starts in a month or so, we're going to see her plenty.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

She doesn't have to explain jack shit. Some law enforcement officials need to catch the culprit and make him explain things to a judge.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I figure Deadspin and TheBigLeech will soon write that she shouldn't have called 911, because by acknowledging the stalkers she only made them a bigger deal.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

At the risk of sounding insensitive, what did she need to call 911 for? She described these guys as paparazzi, so it doesn't sound like she considered herself to be in any danger. They were more of an annoyance. She lives in a gated community, so call security to shoo them away if need be. I can understand that she's still shaken up by the video but this was kind of an overreaction, IMO.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you got mugged, who would you rather have handle the situation -- a mall cop or the police? Also, she did say this ...

"I would like to tell the officer to have them leave because the cops have told me to call 911 if they're outside my house."

... If that's true, she simply followed what the cops told her to do. And who can argue with that?

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If Erin needs a place to lay low during this time, I've got some extra room at my apartment. I'll even stay on the couch, because I'm a gentleman.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

obviously, i didn't listen to the tape to know it was a woman, just read the transcript. though it read pretty funny in a curb your enthusiasm kind of way.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder if Erin was pissed off the dispatcher didn't know her.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the dispatcher really did a great job. Usually they are pretty brusque and businesslike.

Draft saved Draft deleted