1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews violated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I just got up and read the post, and it was the first my BlackBerry took me to after last night, right after I went to bed. It struck me as a response to my post. Now I see the posts in between.

If you can tell who's going where the wind blows, flip-flopping when it suits them, your recall of SJ personalities is much greater than mine.

No worries.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The thread in question

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/65451/

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I needed to drink bleach after reading that.

Can we find the thread about the bicep?

Edit: Found the bicep thread. Speaks to KVV's point about TBL and others having a bonerfest over Andrews, and now sounding incredibly disingenuous as they attempt to express outrage over this latest incident. (If they are indeed expressing outrage, haven't seen. TBL must be unconscious over this ordeal.)

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/59355/

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You ARE gonna get an argument from me on that one if it gets dredged up. Unless someone ever reliably disputed it happened, and I missed it.

You don't playfully touch someone of the opposite sex in a work setting.

Period.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Too late, I dredged. Not to debate the incident, but to compare the general treatment and attitude toward Andrews related to her looks and demeanor and 'asking for it', directly related to this discussion.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The action at the centerpiece of that thread, only adds static to debating her professionalism.

If a guy did that to Jennie Finch, assuming he didn't get his ass kicked by her, he would be universally pilloried, and rightfully.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm confused -- having not watched the video -- but is this some sort of Kramer reverse peephole sort of thing?

8. KVV

KVV Member

Here is my point, without really getting into what did or did not happen on old SportsJournalists.com threads where I did not participate: I think it's kind of ridiculous for someone like Jason McIntyre to express dismay that someone violated Erin Andrews privacy and "poor her, what a shame, now she can't stay in hotels, and my goodness, how gross people are" when he can't go a week without posting some picture of Erin Andrews ass. You can't actively encourage a culture that views women as nothing but eye cady/jack off fantasies and then throw out a few tsk, tsk, tsks, when it goes too far.

Here is one of the commeters, cursedcleveland, on TBL today:

And I’m sorry, but there are some mighty big hypocrites around these parts. I don’t think TBL gets to feign outrage over this when he’s the first to show candid photos of her ass and only her ass, whether there are clothes or not. You can tell me all day that it’s apples and oranges - and fine it is. But there are so many popular sports blogs that obsess over shots of E.A in a dress, half clothed, whatever…then to act disgusted by this - when you know everyone’s going to watch it. If you’re that disgusted by it, why tell people the site in the first place? Just reference that it happened. If it weren’t for this site, none of us or our thousands of Blind CC’d friends would have seen it.

And here is McIntyre's response:

an real low point for you CC. 0/10 here.

It's like going to the zoo and throwing beef jerky to the lions and laughing because it's fun to watch, but then one day someone throws a rare steak to get even more yuks, and the lion finishes the steak and then takes off the zookeepers arm and you say, "What a shame. Totally irresponsible and wrong for someone to throw that steak. We condem everyone involved and wish the zookeeper all the best in the future. Now, if you'll excuse us, we're going to stand in front of the monkey cage and encourage people to throw potato chips."

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't read those sites, so I wasn't understanding your context. Thanks for the clarification. I see your original point in a different light.

10. Allegedly

Allegedly Guest

Great post, KVV.

Unfortunately, The Big Fozzie is what he is at this point: A de-facto full-time Deadspin commenter with his own site. But unlike the folks at KSK he isn't ever funny or clever.

But because he's able to convince the occasional big-name journalist to do an interview, he's able to pretend he's a serious person.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think the dynamic of this crime isn't that of an obsessed fan, but rather a serial peephole pervert. Erin is one of many victims preyed upon by the DailyMotion poster and her celebrity might not of have been the main focus of the violator.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The fact the video is out there for free and not behind a paywall or being sold to, say, Perez Hilton lends credence to the idea that this was a weirdo who shoots people naked in their rooms, whether they're Erin Andrews or Erin Anderson. It just happened to be a famous person behind his peeping camera that day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.