1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erin Andrews, shoes, and a conflict of interest?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Heh.

2. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

Erin Andrews? No comment. Though the name does seem vaguely familiar.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Would I watch the commercial? Probably. Would it make it go out and buy whatever she was hawking? Absolutely not. I've never done it before and I'm not starting now.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And who doesn't??

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Whoops. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=110128/PainkillersNews

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Bet Rex Ryan noticed what shoes she was wearing, and hoping she'd taken them off.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Once-in-a-blue-moon, FW.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The painkiller story was a joke. Wow, you mean former professional athletes use more painkillers than people who didn't get slammed to the turf/ice/court/field for a living? Gee, what a groundbreaking shock. In a related story, former NFL offensive linemen weigh more than average americans.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We have different definitions of a joke. Commissioning a study that finds there is a 400% increase in painkiller abuse over the general population (in many cases the addiction stemming from use as a player) and finding that one-third of players are alcoholics in my book is worthwhile.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The NYT on Erin/Reebokgate: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/sports/30espn.html?ref=sports

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Way back, when I was considering trying radio at a time a lot of scribes were starting to double up, one of the biggest negatives was participating in the commercials. The lack of integrity is incredible.
    You have an effing sportswriter telling you that this particular Chevy dealership is the greatest place on the planet. And two weeks later, when contracts get redone, the same effing sportswriter is telling you that this particular Ford dealer is the greatest place on the planet. And five minutes later, his effing partner is telling you that this particular Toyota dealership is the greatest place on the planet.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The ESPN spokesman's quote is awesome. “There are times when we’re fine with it, and there are times when we say that doesn’t make sense for reasons X, Y, or Z,” Krulewitz said.

Translation: We're concerned until precisely the moment it's better to not be concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted