1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erik Bedard = worst interview ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_lorax, Mar 11, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The problem is outside of this board, no one in America gives a shit. Bedard is a top-10 pitcher who gets a lot of Ks and if he doesn't want to talk to the assholes in the press (asshole being the default description), no one outside the press is really going to care.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nor should they.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree. if there are folks who are his fans, they want to hear what he has to say. if he doesn't talk, they ain't hearin'.

4. When he treats the media like this, really he's treating the fans like this. But I'm sure he doesn't see it that way. And I'm sure that the Orioles fanbois don't, either. I'm sure they cheer him on for treating "the media" like garbage.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why would the Oriole fanbois care about how a Seattle pitcher treats the media?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

They couldn't care less if he talks...just pitch well and win.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Erik, do the Schilling. Expound on some political issue for 10 minutes or so, and those reporters who badgered you will be telling you to STFU.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i want to know the athletes i like ... well i would if i hadn't spent most of my adult life in sports.

9. You know what I meant.

10. He can always go the Schilling, Bonds or Tiger Woods route and post all the really important stuff he wants out on his website and bypass the media entirely.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

If he strikes out 250 batters with a 2.90 ERA, no Seattle fan is going to give a shit if he talks to the press or not.

I've never met or even heard of a single Phillies fan who thought any less of Steve Carlton while he was active because he didn't talk. Everyone loved him. After his retirement, of course, we found out we weren't missing much.

Just something to keep in mind if you cover the guy and plan on hammering at him for this.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As a fan, guys like Bedard don't bother me. Just spare me the phonies like Schilling.

Oh, and as a reader, unless I know it's someone who has a history of good quotes, I don't even bother with most of this trite crap. Skip right over it.

So, if you know that Bedard doesn't want to/doesn't like to talk to the media, fine someone else to talk to. Same quotes, different talking head.

Oh, and also as a fan, I don't care whether athletes talk to you guys or not.

Let me rephrase that: as a fan, I don't feel any more informed when I see/hear/read the quotes. Bunch of soundbites.

Draft saved Draft deleted