1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Epcot veterans - Dinner for two where?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We are going to Orlando over Memorial Day weekend. Thanks to a swapout with my brother in law and his wife, we get a child-free dinner at Epcot. What would you recommend?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Definitely get dessert at the French bakery.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

just because I love the food, easily the german sector

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

So many options at Epcot really. I would say it really depends on what you're hungry for at the time.

My wife and I really enjoyed Coral Reef. As you can guess, it's largely seafood. There's a big aquarium as the centerpiece and if you're lucky you can get a seat right next to the glass and watch the fish.

Le Cellier is a fantastic steakhouse. It's Canadian-themed, so you'll be able to get some Canadian Ale to go with your meal.

The other place that gets high marks is Chefs De France. I've never actually eaten there, but everyone I've talked to that's been absolutely loves it.

You can't go wrong with any of those places. Biergarten in Germany is also good, as is Akershus (only problem is they have character dining there, so lots of kids). Never have eaten at San Angel Inn or the place in Morocco.

Oh, and dooley is spot on. You have to get dessert at the French bakery. And then go wash it down with a drink in Mexico. :)

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you're lucky, you can point out the fish you like and they'll spear it for you.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Depends if you want ambiance. If so your only real shot is Bistro De Paris. Otherwise you end up having your dinner ruined by some fat loudmouth with his wife in outfit 6 sizes too small and their unruly kids. Other best shot is San Angel in Mexico but ask for table close to river.

If you don't care about the ambiance then the food is pretty good everywhere. I usually have more fun just walking around drinking in the various countries and eating on the run.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That was definitely my second suggestion. I didn't know if dixie was looking for something more romantic or not. Drinking around the countries and just kind of nibbling in each is a good way to go back to the hotel drunk and full. :)

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nowhere that serves either cheese and/or mayonnaise. I got food poisoning there, and still marched the show barely 36 hours later.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Funny ... I always thought the food was mediocre at best anywhere at Epcot. Go off-campus to the Grand Floridian, or just to go Kissimmee and find a reliable chain.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

From what I remember, and this is more than a decade ago, Epcot food rawked.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It's been 16 years since I've been there, so things may have changed, but when we were there last we had the lunch smorgasbord at the Norwegian restaurant and it was outstanding.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I know Epcot is its own beast, but hearing about awesome food at a Disney park is amazing to me. I've never approached anything of even average quality in a theme park.

About 18 or 19 years ago, my family went to Disneyland and ate in a sit-down restaurant inside the park. I don't remember much about it, but I remember the food being stuff like burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, etc. Of course, you pay the standard theme park upcharge for the food. When they brought the food out, my dad, who never complains about stuff being overpriced, was livid. I remember the bill being over $50 for four, and the food was McDonald's quality at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted