1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Environmental pet peeve

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a former smoker, I'd like to point out that your issue is probably with litterers rather than smokers.
    Not all smokers are litterers, nor all litterers smokers.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With you there Buck - studies show that it is worse for the environment and also has driven up cost of our food supply.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The problems are numerous, Boom.
    Lowering CO2 emissions while potentially increasing NOX and PM pollution is nonsensical. At best, the conversion is NOX and PM neutral. It's a ridiculous option on its face.
    The issues of production and necessary acreage just make it even more ridiculous.
    The California Air Resources Board has developed an option that includes a multiple-fleet-fuel marketplace that would be a disaster.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I saw a study that showed if they used every ear of corn grown for ethanol it would cover less than 5% of our fuel needs.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

All this talk about low-flow toilets reminded me of this : http://www.thejoketree.com/2008/04/12/toilet-police-no-joke/

(couldn't find the column on the Miami Herald's Web site, otherwise would have posted that link).

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The production/acreage issue is a real problem with ethanol.
    It represents a potential economic widfall for a lot of U.S. ag interests, but it's not viable.
    And as far as the environmental effects, it is not a real improvement over petroleum-based fuels.
    Less CO2 does not equal clean.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another thing about adding ethanol is it kills your fuel economy. I've noticed a 5 mpg difference since it went into effect, or a 20% reduction in mileage (25 to barely 20). That's a lot for 10% ethanol.

Ethanol also fuels the drug trade because the demand causes the price of corn tortillas in Latin America to skyrocket and makes growing coca plants and cannabis more financially attractive.

It's stupid to burn your food anyway.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That drives me fucking crazy.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Whether walking or driving, flicking your cigarette butt to the ground drives means without exception that you're either ignorant or arrogant.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is it somehow better if it's a candy wrapper or beer can?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hard to tell. Kind of a gray area there. But it's definitely worse if the litter in question is a plastic six-pack wrapper because then you're also putting marine wildlife in harm's way, too.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Cigarette butts carry the potential for wildfire under the proper conditions, but if it's a question of littering, I don't see a difference.
    I don't condone littering: cigarette butts, McDonald's wrappers or plastic six-pack rings.

Draft saved Draft deleted