1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entry Level Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by baxter, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, THIS position they're filling. So that post is advancing the goal of this thread in what way again?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do we really know they're filling an opening? There have been plenty of fake openings posted on JournalismJobs by editors looking to scare their current staff or just have to post something due to corporate policy, but don't have money in their budget to hire anyone.

3. jr/shotglass

Well, OK then. I'm sure that's what everyone here was thinking when they began throwing the snark around on this thread. ::)

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Let's face facts, it's a lousy-paying job for someone's first job out of college, but it's not as if jobs like this have ever paid well.

You can be an SE at bigger papers than this and only get a few extra thousand per year out of the deal.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let the cynicism live on, as the company is certainly wildly corrupt, but I will say that I do know of a few examples of people who have seen nice promotions internally through Gannett in the past two years. Some were promoted within their own papers, others got a bump up to a bigger, better paper.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's totally fucked up.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pointing out the inaccuracy of the statement in terms of the corporate ownership of the paper in which the opening entails.

In other words, telling whichever kid is out there that looks at this as an opportunity to go into it with their eyes toward continually sending out resumes because they can get shit-canned at any moment.

8. jr/shotglass

Really fucked-up way of looking at the world.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hey, I haven't seen any from the Fitchburg Sentinel-Enterprise lately.

Has anyone heard whether that practice goes on at Gatehouse? I'm beginning to suspect it.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Fitchburg was at the top of the list, but ME at my last paper I worked at before leaving the business posted a non-existent opening as well just to solicit resumes in case any of the sports staff at the time left.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Especially in 2011

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, just realistic.

And while yes, it's a job which is something positive in this economy, and a lot of people (including your's truly) started out at a small paper for very low pay, time was, there was plenty of opportunity for a young guy/gal to move up, which could help them overlook the financial sacrifices that they were making when they took their first low-paying job.

Now, there aren't so many opportunities in this business that makes it worthwhile to sacrifice the pay that they could make in a different profession. They'll either stay there for a longer time than they should, sacrificing financially, or get fed up anyways and move to a different profession because there's very little up the ladder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.