1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Entourage - 2nd to last ep of season

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 20, 2006.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

I liked it, thought it was one of the better episodes.
    Entourage is supposed to make me laugh, and it does.
    Sopranos is supposed to grip you and suck you in and the past season didn't succeed in that.
    I think sometimes we take this stuff too seriously.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC just gave me the Third Season of the Wire on DVD (hadn't seen it before even though I knew what happened to Stringer months ago(Spoiler alerts, people, spoiler alerts).

This is the best show on television. Period. As much of a fan as I am of the Sopranos, no show is CONSISTENTLY as good as the Wire. I can't think of one bad episode.

And the show is--on the surface--a show about drug dealers versus cops in South Baltimore but if that's the only thing you get out of it, you're not paying attention.

And Entourage is silly fun. Nothing more.

3. I think the fact The Wire has a majority-black cast is part of what makes it a notch above. It doesn't stereotype, with black characters that aren't seen in many places on television: Detectives like Bunk and Freamon, who combine street-wiseness with pure smarts; drug dealers who range from pure punk to the Stringer Bells and Avon Barksdales; and Commissioner Burrell, who can play politics with the best of them.

It's a huge departure from the one-dimensional roles that a lot of black characters are given in TV. Of course these days most characters, white or black, are one-dimensional. The Wire is the kind of show that you wish rednecks in Idaho and Alabama would watch, but know they don't.

As for Entourage, if you're looking for a show that will make bold statements about the human condition, well then yeah, it's been terrible. But if you're looking for what it originally set out to be: A different kind of comedy with insights into the movie industry, then it's been right in line with the previous two seasons.

And as for The Sopranos, the entire sixth season story arc was about Tony mellowing out after getting shot (defending Vito; not wacking Phil Leotardo; not doing anything to Christopher after he found out he was boinking Juliana Marguiles, when he had beat up the councilman who was boinking his ex-Russian flame.) That story arc worked for some people, and it didn't for others. Oh well.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Entourage... But Showtime's Weeds is the best comedy on television without question... If you don't have Showtime, rent the first season or download them somewhere. Man is it a great show...

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I liked the beginning of Roots, but I think they went too far.[/schott]

Draft saved Draft deleted