1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough is enough. Now they're whoring out "A Christmas Story"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 27, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, please, take a fuckin chill pill. It was a cheesy movie to begin with.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ebenezer Scrooge, everybody!

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, it was. And I love it. Watch it every time it's on. But don't get all high and mighty on us here.
    It's like the people who got all huffy because Nike made commercials using Beatles songs, forgetting for the moment that there had been commercials that used songs from Mozart, Bach and other classics.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo misses the point as usual.

There's a big difference between using the William Tell Overture as theme music to The Lone Ranger and screwing around with a cheesy but significant Christmas movie to sell a phone service.

And if it were at all creative or witty, they may be forgiven but the ad is pathetically stupid, second-rate and clunky.

We have been conditioned to accept whatever crap corporate America dishes out.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The NYT rips off another SJ thread...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/27/business/media/27adcol.html

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In defense of hondo, A Christmas Story was directed by Bob Clark who also directed Baby Geniuses 2 and the Porky's movies.

So it's not like Robert Altman's or David Lean's visions are being corrupted.

Love the movie, though. Watch it every year.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of you know this, but A Christmas Story actually owes its existence to the original Porky's.

As the story goes, Bob Clark had been trying to sell ACS to numerous studios and got turned down by every one. Then the guy makes Porky's and out of nowhere, it turns into a big box-office hit. The studio, of course, has dollars signs in its eyes and says it wants a sequel, so Clark tells them, "OK, I'll do it, but first you have to finance this other project I've been wanting to do."

And the rest is history.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I hear they're using the Flintstones to sell kids' vitamins, too.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

By the way, you never said what that difference is. You just said there was a difference. Please explain.

Christ, I can imagine what kind of hissy fit you threw when they colorized Casabalanca.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was a hell of a lot worse than this stupid commercial. But you know what would be good, not just colorizing old movies, but adding product placements! Instead of a high-ball, Bogie could be drinking a Diet Pepsi!!!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo,sorry, if you can't figure out the difference, I give up. They didn't CHANGE the piece of music, they just used it. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, colourizing Casablancas was such a good fucking idea. And while we're at it, let's take off the fedora the guy's wearing in Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks" and throw on, oh, I don't know a Yankees ball cap.

Once again, the ad is offensive on a bunch of levels, but mostly on a creative one. The art director must have been using his interns to come up with that piece of dreck.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sigh......are you saying you're just as upset about some tampering with the original Casablanca as you are a commercial being based on a third-rate movie?

Have a drink. Have several.

Draft saved Draft deleted