1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

enough about conflict of interest, let's see some APSE results!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to see the specials in the 40-100,000 class because Newport News' was fucking great. As good as I've seen at ANY level and if there are 10 in the class that are better they must be sensational.
    And, no, I have no dog in that hunt.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

So far, we are at a Sunday Top 10 ... with Daily still TBA. C'mon, judges, cash those checks! :)

rb

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Noticed that under-40 columns lists only nine. Is it missing a name, or did judges decide to reward just nine entries?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You do the math. How many sections do you have to beat out in the section competitions of the two largest circulation categories?

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

No writing awards, but the rest of the Sports staff and I will each accept our first section award (OK, honorable mention, but still) with open arms.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

In the sections like mine, though, there are 202 papers competing.

rb

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Idaho and Lincoln are the only possible triple crown winners in 40-100k.

Glens Falls and Hilton Head are possibles under 40.

Des Moines and Palm Beach post are the triple crowns in 100k-200k.

Kansas City and Orlando are possibilities in 250k+. Good job, everyone.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

These awards are not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

40,000-under: 202
    40,000-100,000: 109
    100,000-250,000: 65
    250,000 and over: 34

10. Outing alert -- rb is Jack Abramoff.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How many of those actually enter? Or is that the total entries.

12. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

On the question of how many U-40 papers enter, here's some info: My group judged U-40 gamers. We had 174 entries to judge. Each member paper is allowed up to 3 entries in game story. So if everyone entered the max, we'd have 606 to judge. I have no idea how many papers submitted entries, but that'll give you some idea. On the over-250s, my group handled the special sections. We had 35. Twenty get something. Sort of like the NBA playoffs, but I can tell you that those editors really want the top 10, for obvious reasons. But as many of you might have seen on the APSE site, the Futures Committee, which I chair, is proposing new guidelines for circulation: 0-25,000/25-60,000/60-175,000 and 175,000-above. It'll split the lower groups more evenly and get the biggest group to around 55-60, which will make it even more competitive. We should vote on this tomorrow at the closing meeting. And we'll keep posting winners on the APSE site as soon as we get them. Some of the groups with big sections, features or columns, still are working in prelims. It's a tough grind to read all those and try to give them a good judging. Stay tuned.

Draft saved Draft deleted