1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Engrossing dispatch or word dump?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=110329/Cricket

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At least it's a legitimate sport, unlike some of the other events covered by the various ESPN platforms. But it does seem like an odd time to roll it out, with the Final Four and NBA regular-season home stretch upon us, plus MLB opening day tomorrow.

I remember when I was in college, the Indian and Pakistani science and engineering majors used to engage in marathon cricket matches in one corner of the quad next to the library. It was fascinating to watch ...

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How much you want to bet, by the strangest of coincidences, ESPN has a contract to broadcast cricket?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Don't have time to read the story yet, but cricket is amazing. It's everything baseball fans think their sport is (but isn't).

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw earlier this week, during the workday, their top-bar scoreboard was carrying cricket scores.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's the World Cup.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/index.php

7. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades New Member

It's not an odd time, at all. The Cricket World Cup is going on and India was playing Pakistan -- I'd say that's the perfect time to roll it out.

Besides, it's not like having this story means there is less MLB preview, NBA stretch drive or NCAA tourney coverage. That is the magic of the Interwebs!

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Next Alma thread title: Fact or crap?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

ESPN owns the U.S. rights to the 2015 Cricket World Cup. There are occasional matches on ESPN3.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nice illustration.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Alma: Yoda, or Charlie from Flowers for Algernon?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm guessing by the reaction here that the general consensus is: Word dump.

Draft saved Draft deleted