1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

England-Ireland-Scotland Golf packages?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Anyone ever done one? Put one together? Had a company put one together?

I'm considering a 10-day golf trip across the pond. When's the best time to go?

2. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

My sister-in-law does Irish/Scottish tour packages, including golf. You can contact her at info@celtictime.com to see what she can put together.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've gone once in September and twice in October; never had a problem making starting times. Obviously that's a shoulder season, fewer players around, and the biggest concern is the weather. We've had days where we couldn't take off our sweaters and jackets fast enough, only to show up at the first tee the next morning and have it snow. Still, we were able to get in our share of 36-hole days where the golf courses were close enough.

I prefer Ireland over Scotland, but either is great fun.

I have enough frequent flyer miles to take care of airfare, and we generally stayed at B&Bs, so I've been able to keep the cost reasonable. Our groups always rented vans for four guys each, but if money is no object, a larger bus with its own driver comes with his own advantages: a place to stow your shoes, clubs and jackets overnight, safely, and no need to worry about driving after you've had a couple of post-round drinks.

Courses there have realized visiting Americans are willing to pay a higher freight to play these acclaimed courses, and I've noticed prices have gone up over the last 10 years or so. A good friend of mine went last year as part of an eight-person group; they spared little expense, played nothing but the well-known places and paid about $4,500 pp; too rich for me.

Still, there's nothing like it. You'll fall in love with the game all over again.

Keep in mind, there are three things America does better than just about anywhere else: food (variety and availability), roads and hotels. This is the first thing you learn after a few days in Scotland.

4. Thanks.
    Ideally, I'd love to play St. Andrews and the rest of the open rotation... Realistically, I'm cheap and I also realize there are a LOT of nice, good courses around there as well.
    I'd be happy playing some regular places and one or two gems.

When you say $4,500 ... is that without airfare?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That included air.

Daily starting times at the Old Course are conducted via a lottery, the results of which are announced the day before. So, if you don't get selected, at least you know in advance and you can try to play elsewhere else. The Old Course is not open for play on Sunday, but the grounds generally attract a decent number of people who are there walking their dog or just taking a stroll. The least you should do if you find yourself in St. Andrews on Sunday is walk 17, look at the tee shot that requires you to hit over a part of the hotel, and the grounds there at 1 and 18. Stand on the first tee, look down the hole and ask yourself, "How in the hell did Ian Baker-Finch hit it OB on the LEFT?"

Pretty neat place.

6. OK... That's not bad ... I'm kinda figuring $3K-$5K, including airfare.

How did you put the package together? Tour group? Travel agency?

Draft saved Draft deleted