1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Energy in America: Dead Birds Unintended Consequence of Wind Power Development

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do they know the new turbines won't kill any wildlife? I understand they can track migratory patterns and all that but that doesn't mean the turbines are animal-friendly.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Among other things, the new blades turn much more slowly. The old blades spun like a blender.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/12/06/wind-turbines-to-be-upgraded-in-altamont-pass/

Steve Stengel, a spokesman for NextEra, said the newer, slower moving wind turbines are far less harmful to birds. And since each new turbine is more efficient, fewer of them will be needed to generate the same amount of power.

“These new turbines do not have lattice towers where birds can perch, which was a problem with the older models,” Stengel said.

Years of studying the effects of the turbines at Altamont on local birds will also help the company choose better spots on which to build the new turbines, Stengel said.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The turbines at Altamont? Is this guy sure that the birds haven't been killed by Hell's Angels?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"I told you not to go backstage, man. I told you."

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The geniuses in one of our cities along a river decided to install wind turbines near the water, though the area is not known for wind. Well, the river is a major migratory flyway. Hence, there have been many birdicides.

Geniuses - absolute geniuses.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. Is there not a way to put screens around the turbines to prevent bird v. blade encounters? This can't be that complicated. Have none of these people ever seen a box fan?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cars kill birds, too, but the Koch Brothers want you to buy oil, so their puppet groups won't attack them.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Everybody chill the fuck out.

[​IMG]

He's got this.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

All you bird lovers make me want to vomit. If you want to love birds, go ahead, But don’t insult a wind energy lover by throwing bird loving in the same cesspool of whatever.

And, if one doesn’t like the my opinion, then go ahead and ignore me. I’ll miss you like the Rolling Stones miss Tony Chapman.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Well done.

I sure hope you're not a public school teacher.

And, I guess you never had a kidney stone.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

never heard it was that many but did actually see it happen. my aunt's house has a big living room window and the reflection of the trees
    St. Louis Cardinals or U Louisville should change their logo to that, even if it may not be a cardinal.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No doubt a real conundrum for the Sierra Club

Draft saved Draft deleted