1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I blame the expansion of the golf season. People need the extra daylight to play in a season that now stretches almost year-round.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not so much a DST thought, but a time-zone thought I once had was this: Eastern Time and Pacifict time people are crankier than most because while the normal work day starts at 9 everywhere, they have to stay up till 11:30 to watch their local nightly news, while Central and Mountain Time folks can go to bed an hour earlier. In effect, a lot of Mountain and Central folks are getting an extra hour of sleep.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Canada has six time zones. Same as the USA plus Atlantic & Newfoundland

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah in Chattanooga we had a lot of friends on Central time over in South Pittsburgh. They used to say they lived in "Slow time."

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Canada's bigger, so it makes sense. But the half-hour thing in Newfoundland always struck me as silly.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This might have been true when people actually watched the 11/10 o'clock newscasts.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Hmm.... The author didn't address how her proposal would impact newspaper deadlines.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Don't forget to set your clock back tonight! One more hour of sleep!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I dunno. In Central Time a lot of people go to work at 8, so I think it's a wash.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or get up at the same time and catch an extra hour of talking heads blovating on an endless series of NFL pregame shows.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just realized that my son, age 1, is still going to wake up at the same time...so hello 5:30/6 a.m. instead of 6:30/7!

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Makes me happy my 10-year-old is so focused on sticking to the clock these days. Rule is she can get up early if she wants, but she's on her own until 9 a.m. on weekends, which she actually likes. (A little independence).

I fixed her clock before she went to bed to ensure I get that extra hour of sleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted