1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ending Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Technically, Newfoundland was never independent. It was a dominion of Great Britain from 1907 until it voted to join Canada. Its flag was the Union Jack, and remained so for a period of time as a province. However, Newfoundland did enjoy a certain degree of autonomy.

By the 1930’s it was heavily in debt and along with political scandal, government was relinquished to London and replaced by a Commission along with a Governor. It remained as such until Confederation in 1949.

The island of Newfoundland and a small part of mainland Labrador are on Newfoundland time, i.e. a half-hour off. The rest of Labrador is in the Atlantic Time Zone.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you work at an AM newspaper, or certain shifts in broadcasting, going home in the dark is quite normal. I rarely witnessed a sunrise for many, many years.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Of all the crap that needs to be fixed in this country, the clock/sun arrangement is pretty damn low on the list.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But it will be the one that gets the most traction. Lowest Common Denominator and all.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

yeah, let's pass a Constitutional Amendment. Seems the political leaders can't agree on much of anything else.

6. joe

joe Active Member

When the zombies come, we'll all be on the same time zone.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Until 1883 and the adoption of standard time, virtually every city had its own time. It could be noon in Boston, 12:15 in New York, 12:20 in Philly, 12:30 in Pittsburgh, 12:40 in Cleveland, 12:45 in Detroit, 12:50 in Indianapolis and 1:00 in Chicago.

Which also meant it was 12:11 in Hartford, 12:24 in Washington, 12:49 in Toledo, etc etc etc.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As an outdoorsy guy, I hate cranking the clocks back because it interferes with afternoon hunting/fishing/cycling/wandering through the woods. When the sun is down a little after 5 p.m., it's just the worst.

(And it's a pain in the ass to reset all my watches and clocks.)

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a kid run over by a bus because it was still dark. Doesn't mean it's never happened, but kids up north regularly go to the bus stop in the dark, even when on Standard Time.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I love DST because of the extended light in the summer. It's 7:24 a.m. here right now, and dark as can be. I lived in Central time when I was in the Navy and hated it. I live in a state that is split, and it still drives me crazy when I have to go to Nashville or Murfreesboro and deal with the time shift.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One of the frustrating things about living in AZ was the no DST thing, only because of what how it screwed with TV watching. Everything is either on a Pacific or a Eastern feed with the big cable networks, so for a week, I'd get screwed up trying to figure out when shows started because the Pacific time zone had ST but we didn't. First world problems.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that would be pretty bad. Still, from the original article, it would be fascinating if we did go to two time zones, one hour apart, and no DST. But I would settle for year-round DST. We're virtually there now (nearly eight months). Just do it and quit tinkering with the clocks twice a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted