1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let me try this again, Starman.

You're interviewing a coach..whether in a grouop or one-on-one..he says "this is off the record" before making a statement.
    You don't question or challenge his assertion that it is off the record. In fact, you don't say a word, you just let him spout. In your mind, because you didn't openly agree to it, it's on the record?

2. This is a stupid back and forth ... even if the allegation were true, I don't see a problem with waiting to tell your current employer that you'll be working for someone else as long as you do so before two weeks ... especially if you're worried your current employer will give you the axe.

And bomber, it does seem a bit odd that you're willing to out someone else as a source of a rumor but you keep your own identity hidden ...

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I think if I used the same philosophies in my everyday work I'd still be better off than Darlington in the morning. You see, I referenced my sources. If I went to print with that story as opposed to putting on a message board, I would have quoted the SE or the ME and I'd be just fine.

Giving away off-the-record audio, for that matter ... Well, I'm sure he'll get over it one day.

4. ejs

ejs New Member

There you go again, revealing your sources.

I thought we were against using stuff that was off-the-record; isn't that what started all this?

I know both of your alleged sources fairly well; I worked at the Post for five years and I owe them my career, such as it is. I run into them occasionally -- actually, one as recently as Friday evening. And I solicit them for advice all the time, and did so while that process was ongoing.

You suggested on the other thread that Jeff knew he was leaving the Post all summer, and sprung it on them late. That cuts at his character. I can tell you, with 100 percent certainty, that it is not true. Again, I was intimately involved in that situation and, without getting into too much detail (and speaking out of school as you did), I know when I pulled out of the situation. It was much later than you implied. Jeff was hired thereafter.

Why didn't I let it go? Because that thread was locked, before I had a chance to respond on the board, to your final comment. I did so privately but, after thinking about it, I felt the need to clear it up publicly.

I'm done here. I shouldn't have intruded.

Rip away.

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

So you'd rather I share the info I received and not reveal where I got it? Yeah, that makes sense ...

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Did the proverbial door lightly brush against his posterior as he exited? ;)

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Well, if you respect them so much that you would say you "owe them your career," then why should I doubt what they told me? You're telling me my info was all wrong ... Yet the sources were so impeccable they made you the man you are. Interesting.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not that the current direction of the thread isn't morbidly entertaining, but how much does pulling Darlington off the SB compromise the Herald's coverage of the event? Yeah, I'm fairly sure they're not bumping the backup UMiami women's basketball or high school wrestling beater to the mainbar spot, but does the Herald punish itself and its readers more than Darlington by cutting him out of the coverage? Or did they pretty much not miss a beat?

9. ejs

ejs New Member

(I know I said I was done, but....)

I saw one of them Friday night. He doesn't know where the hell you got that info.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

When it comes to the Super Bowl, you're not going to be digging up scoops. It's all features and notebooks and happy horseshit that's pretty much spoonfed to you by the league all week. Maybe if the Dolphins were involved it would have made a noticeable difference. I'm sure the readers detected nothing.

11. If it was something told to you in confidence, then obviously it's a problem ...

if not, and they especially don't mind having their identities connected to a denied rumor meant to disparage someone on a message board ... then by all means.

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I know you are, but what am I?

Dude, get over it. The info they gave me might have been wrong. I shared it. You disagreed with it. We have that on the record.

So you said you saw him Friday night? You sent me a PM on Sunday that said you "saw him last night." Which is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted