1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. ejs

ejs New Member

Orlando and Jeff are both good guys. I know both well, and I can vouch for that.

It's an unfortunate situation, but there was no malice on any end.

Just let it go, guys. Everyone feels badly enough.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Need to ask a question here.
    He apologized on Saturday.
    He aired the tape on Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Sincere or not, he still waited several days, then apologized on a weekend when less people listen.
    It's like ripping someone in public and apologizing in private.
    As others have said, glad he apologized.
    He still pulled a bullshit move.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

ejs, I find this tiresome.

You let it go if you want to. But we shall discuss what we discuss.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ditto what Slappy said.

Too little, too late.

5. i just read the entire locked thread, first I've heard of this

here's what I don't get -- it sounds like this Alzugaray dude is a known slimebag. why would Darlington trust him? were they close? occasional acquaintances? weird story

also surprised to hear Jemele Hill, who I like & respect, say, "There isn't a person who posts on this board, anonymously or otherwise, who hasn't made a terrible career mistake."

there are many

oh, and I agree with everything Shockey has said every step of the way

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, the Big O has never struck me as anything but a decent guy who works really hard and knows a lot about sports, particularly the NFL.

He used to be kind of hard to listen to, but he's gotten better.

But I don't know him personally.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You hope, but he won't.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Like write/drink above, I too just read the locked thread last night.

It always amazes me how this board--people who collectively have decades of experience in the business--can disagree so violently on seemingly basic issues.

And I really don't get the whole 'I disagree with you, therefore you must cover dog shows or ymca tennis.'

I don't know Darlington, but it seems that public humiliation and suspension during the Super Bowl should be enough penance, and certainly enough justice for the rest of the sportsmedia universe to take its foot off his throat.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well that's as much the fault as the fools who sweat football that much and take things that seroiusly as it is the radio guy. Hopefully charges are pressed and punishments handed out by the law to remind people sometimes you don't have to take things too far.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it's prep agate....

11. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I'm fairly certain there was a lot of overreaction on that thread long before the subject of death threats surfaced.

12. jeff darlington is a friend of mind. he'll rebound from this mistake.

what i'd most like to read is an apology from the people (mizzougrad96) who crucified jemele hill for committing the crime of taking a job. those people seem very hypocritical. last i checked, jemele, like her or not, is "one of our own," too.

Draft saved Draft deleted