1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Saban/Herald/Radio story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK...since I was the one the suggested locking the Saban thread, I feel funny about this, but I feel it's only fair.

Today, I'm on my way to golf, and the local talk radio guy for this morning (Saturday) was Orlando Alzugaray, the guy who released the Herald writer tape we've all been talking about.

As I drive to the course, it's apparent -- I did NOT hear the original -- that Alzugaray has just made a fairly significant apology for publicizing the tape the writer sent him. A regular caller calls in and tells him to hang in there, and that while he's admitted he screwed up, we all make mistakes, and he should try to move on.

This is followed by 45 seconds of dead air, and it's obvious that the talk radio guy has lost it and is trying to regain his composure. This is more obvious when he comes back on the air and says, "Geez, it's going to be hard to make it through the next four hours."

Among the next few things he says is, "As bad as I feel about everything, I feel the worst for the writer."

Anyway, this went beyond his no comment, he expressed sincere contrition, and I think it's only fair that people here know that.

It was a mess all the way around, several mistakes were made, and it seems like everybody will learn from it and that's that.

Sometimes I'm not sure what to post here, and what not to post, but this seems like the thing to do.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The only problem I have with that apology, though, is it was only made where his station broadcasts. If he would have commented to the newspaper, then it would have been picked up and more people would know about it.
    But at least he apologized and seemed sincere. It takes a man to admit he's wrong.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well done, SF.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely right SF. Plenty of mistakes and bad judgment to go around, and time to get passed it and move on.

Thanks for the post and the info that pretty much closes this issue.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Thanks for the post, SF.

But Alzugaray is still a piece of crap. Apology or no apology.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was glad to hear this.

Good post, SF.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, man. Writer made a mistake, radio guy compounded it because he was offended by the quote -- snap, quick, dumb decision -- and I admittedly don't personally know "The Big O." But I'll tell you what -- what I heard Saturday was either extremely sincere, or the greatest acting job I've ever heard.

Night, all. Called it a night extremely early at the bar so work would go well today. Probably not advancing that thinking at this point. :)

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Maybe. But he's a radio guy, so an actingjob isn't out of the question.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

At some point, I've got to take a man at face value. And at that point, if he's fooled me, shame on him, not me.

I'm choosing to believe he was sincere.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Guy pays his own way to go to the senior bowl (for at least a half-dozen years) to keep his contacts up, because his cheap-ass station won't send him past Tamarac.

He made a hellacious error, but, and I guess this is saying something, he's not the worst guy on the airwaves in South Florida.

Not by a long shot.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

That would be Hank.

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

If he legitimately apologized, that means something to me.

I agree with SF. Mistakes were made all around. Everybody feels bad about it. Let's let it go.

Draft saved Draft deleted