1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of LSU-UT game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

WTF?

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There's still a difference in taking off a helmet and throwing a helmet. I don't believe any of the UT players threw their helmets, but the LSU guy clearly flung his a pretty good distance.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There was a reference to LSU helmets, plural. Trying to sort out what the poster wanted to penalize LSU for. Throwing one helmet? More than one? Taking helmets off? If it is the latter, UT was just as guilty. If it is throwing a helmet, I only saw one instance. So, again, trying to understand the reference to LSU helmets, plural.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I was responding to Yodel - that wasn't particularly clear, sorry.

As far as penalties, I think throwing a helmet should be penalize-able in that situation. Removing the helmet after the final play I have less of a problem with. That's the same judgment call I'd make with the final play before halftime as well.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I guess I see what you're saying. I just don't think you can penalize the LSU player for spiking his helmet, because the game was over when he spiked it. Clock was at 00:00 and UT had the ball. I just can't see a penalty for an emotional response to a boneheaded coach.

The 13-men foul, though, was a clear violation of rules. I don't see any inconsistency in enforcing that one and not the helmet toss, because of the bizarre circumstances. If it matters, I was hoping Tennessee would win, so I'm not an LSU fanboi.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Tell that to Dwayne Bleepin' Rudd! Grrrrr.....

7. Johnny Dangerously

Bob Lilly thought the game was over too -- Super Bowl V, and it was -- and he threw his helmet a lot farther. Never heard anyone suggest there should have been a flag.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Alex Karras once threw his helmet at his own quarterback, Milt Plum, after Plum threw an interception in the final two minutes when the Lions were beating the Packers in 1962. Packers came back and won.

It was the game that was profiled in Lombardi's "Run to Daylight", although that scene wasn't in the book.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep, video proves there is only one helmet thrown...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I love the SID or whoever's reactions to Miles' comments in that link.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Michael Bonnette, SID.

Or, "Cleanup on Aisle Miles."

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Milt Plum made a lot of Browns and Lions angry, for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted