1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of an era in Tucson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tenacious_g, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They're a PM paper in a JOA, and they've done better than most papers in similar situations. The JOA expires in 2015.

2. Gannett Executives Celebrate Another Successful Year In Journalism.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. EnZona

EnZona Member

Yeah and then what? Who's going to survive, the Citizen or the Daily Star?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If you have to ask that question, you aren't familiar with Tucson papers or the nature of JOAs. See: Post, Cincinnati.

5. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

If/when the day comes that Tucson is a one paper town, I don't think there is much question which will be the last one standing.

As for the purpose of this post, I'll just say again Corky will be missed.

6. Well-written column by Corky.

I'll add that retired Seattle Times columnist Blaine Newnham's contracted finale was this Sunday also. Same reason he's leaving.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/blainenewnham/2004099131_newnham30.html

7. EnZona

EnZona Member

My bad. I should have read better ... the Citizen is the PM in the JOA. Not much of a guess then.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Great, great column.
    This line really sums up our relationship with our readers. Don't think I've ever seen it put so well.

9. Corky is one of the gentlemen of the business and is missed.
    The irony is, last I heard, Corky is getting ready to head back to Missouri or Kansas. Think he wants to get a chance to enjoy the Jayhawks in his retirement.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Blaine Newnham also??? Damn. That is another veteran Pac-10 Skywriter and one of the most classy gentlemen in the biz.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It'll be sad to see Blaine go. Then there was a blurb on the Times' front page Monday about them signing up with NY Times News Service.

What's the going rate for that service? Is it less expensive than having a columnist on board??

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes.

Great column by Newnham. Really summed up the problems with the Internet age. Used to need perspective to be a columnist. Now you just need to be able to string together one-liners to make something resembling a coherent point.

Draft saved Draft deleted