1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 6, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Drama Series: "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; "House," Fox; "The Sopranos," HBO; "24," Fox; "The West Wing," NBC. Either Grey's or House should win, but I'm betting The West Wing gets a going away gift. Wouldn't be a complete screwup, since last season was the best of the last three years of WW.

Comedy Series: "Arrested Development," Fox; "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; "The Office," NBC; "Scrubs," NBC; "Two and a Half Men," CBS. The Office, going away.

Variety, Music or Comedy Series: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central; "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," Comedy Central; "Late Night With Conan O'Brien," NBC; "Late Show With David Letterman," CBS; "Real Time With Bill Maher ," HBO. Colbert is good, but I don't think it can knock off the Daily Show here.

Actor, Drama Series: Denis Leary, "Rescue Me," FX Network; Peter Krause , "Six Feet Under," HBO; Kiefer Sutherland , "24," Fox; Martin Sheen , "The West Wing," NBC. If everything's fair, Leary gets this easy. His '05 work wasn't matched by any of the other nominees.

Actress, Drama Series: Kyra Sedgwick , "The Closer," TNT; Geena Davis , "Commander in Chief," ABC; Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," NBC; Frances Conroy, "Six Feet Under," HBO; Allison Janney , "The West Wing," NBC. I'd like to see Conroy get one on the way out.

Supporting Actor, Drama Series: William Shatner , "Boston Legal," ABC; Oliver Platt , "Huff," Showtime; Michael Imperioli , "The Sopranos," HBO; Gregory Itzin, "24," Fox; Alan Alda , "The West Wing," NBC. Alda's tough to beat.

Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Candice Bergen, "Boston Legal," ABC; Sandra Oh , "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; Blythe Danner, "Huff," Showtime; Jean Smart, "24," Fox. If Oh got one last year, Wilson should get this one.

Actor, Comedy Series: Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; Kevin James , "The King of Queens," CBS; Tony Shalhoub , "Monk," USA; Steve Carell , "The Office," NBC; Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men," CBS. Carell, easy.

Actress, Comedy Series: Lisa Kudrow , "The Comeback," HBO; Jane Kaczmarek, "Malcolm in the Middle," Fox; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine," CBS; Stockard Channing, "Out of Practice," CBS; Debra Messing , "Will & Grace," NBC. What a pitiful group. I guess Messing, just because she's done.

Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Will Arnett, "Arrested Development," Fox; Jeremy Piven , "Entourage," HBO; Bryan Cranston, "Malcolm in the Middle," Fox; Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men," CBS; Sean Hayes, "Will & Grace," NBC. Piven, easy.

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Cheryl Hines , "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; Alfre Woodard , "Desperate Housewives," ABC; Jaime Pressly , "My Name Is Earl," ABC; Elizabeth Perkins , "Weeds," Showtime; Megan Mullally, "Will & Grace," NBC. If Jaime Pressly doesn't win this, these people aren't watching Earl.

Actor, Miniseries or a Movie: Charles Dance, "Bleak House (Masterpiece Theatre)," PBS; Donald Sutherland , "Human Trafficking," Lifetime; Ben Kingsley , "Mrs. Harris," HBO; Jon Voight , "Pope John Paul II," CBS; Andre Braugher, "Thief," FX Network. Braugher, easy.

Several questionable calls here. Like where the hell is Spader? And Chiklis? And how the hell did Geena Davis weasel into another nomination? Also, pick a supporting cast member from Rescue Me or The Shield or The Wire and damn near any one of them would be better than the supporting actors/actresses selected. I swear, 90 percent of the people voting for this shit are just checking the names they recognize.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

How does Two and a Half Men get a nomination over Entourage?

No Lost, either.

3. Varla

Varla Member

Wow, I can't believe Lost got shutout.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not one supporting nomination from The Office?  That is a disgrace.

Lauren Graham, the best actress on TV, gets shafted in favor of those five comedy nominees?  Seriously?

Surprise that John Spencer didn't get a pity nomination.  Alda was great and Janney should win again.

No Gandolfini?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

And no Edie Falco, and everybody said this year was her best work.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

They used darts to come up with this short list. Merloni from SVU in, but Gandolfini out? Two and a Half Freakin' Men? Glad for JL-D but was there five people beside me who saw one episode of her show? Martin Sheen? Most dubious list ever. I know they're trying to get out of the usual-suspects thing but those usual suspects (Edie Falco) were there because they were uniformly excellent. All they need is Pia Zadora ...

YHS, etc

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My predictions and who should win:

Drama: West Wing gets the farewell prize, but House should win.
    Comedy: I think the voters give Fox the middle finger by selecting Arrested Development, but The Office is the best comedy since Seinfeld was in its prime.
    Variety: I think Colbert gets it. He has the buzz and the WH performance gave him the credibility he needs to win. And he should win.
    Drama Actor: I agree that Leary should win, but it probably goes to Sheen as another parting gift. I wouldn't mind seeing Meloni win for SVU as he has been doing excellent work for years.
    Drama Actress: I think Geena might take this one for the same reason as Arrested Development and if she doesn't, Janney does. Conroy will be in the mix and Hargitay will be forgotten. I would probably vote for Hargitay for the same reason as Meloni.
    Supporting Actor Drama: Agree with Dog428 on Alda.
    Supporting Actress Drama: Complete toss-up...not really sold on any of the candidates and wouldn't be surprised if any of them win.
    Actor Comedy: I would vote for Carell, but see this as a two-man race between Carell and Shaloub.
    Actress Comedy: I think Kaczmarek wins as a lifetime achievement award for her earlier work on Malcolm with JLD holding an outside shot. But this is a pretty weak group.
    Supporting Actor Comedy: It is a crime that Rainn Wilson wasn't nominated, but Piven wins this one running away.
    Supporting Actress Comedy: Pressly with ease.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Man, I can't believe how out of touch I am. I only seen four of these shows: SVU, Rescue Me, Colbert Report and the Daily Show.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Pleasantly surprised by West Wing. I said after the finale that it deserves a nomination. Past its prime, yes, but one of the five best dramas on TV this year? Absolutely.

You know there are a lot of great leading actors in a drama when Chiklis, Gandolphi, Spader and Hugh Laurie don't get nominated.

If Two and a Half Men, the most overrated show in the universe, wins, there should be an investigation. It shouldn't have even been nominated; My Name is Earl is much better.

I thought Grey's would get more noms, particularly Dempsey and Washington. Housewives pretty much got ignored, too.

10. "Entourage" absolutely got robbed.
    And I'd like to see Oliver Platt win over Alda's imaginary principled Republican candidate, but he won't.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is a joke.

How could Hugh Laurie not be nominated for Best Actor?

Dr. Gregory House is one of the most original characters on TV--he's my new role model.

And besides, he dated Emma Thompson back in his Cambridge days. What's not to like?

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Lost getting shutout isn't exactly shocking. Come on, y'all know they went with fluff and gimmicks most of this season in order to flesh out the series and keep the 18-29-year-old set interested. It's a good, good show, don't get me wrong. But I don't think this season, despite the quality of the final two or three episodes, deserved a nomination. If there was a category for best episode, Lost wins in a landslide for that finale or the one where Michael turned.

The West Wing, while much improved this year, was not "one of the five best dramas on TV." In fact, I don't think it made the top 10. There were some great individual performances from the show, but overall, it didn't hold a candle to Rescue Me, The Wire, The Shield, House, The Sopranos (even in a very slow season), Medium, 24, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Six Feet Under or Prison Break (a woefully underappreciated show, IMO).

And while listing my snubs, I forgot the biggest of all -- Forest Whitaker from The Shield. You show me one better acting job this year and I'll kiss your ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted