1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmanuel Mudiay leaves SMU to play in Europe or Asia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

This is interesting. Here was a top 5 recruit, who is expected to be a high lottery pick next year (I've seen mocks where he's the top pick).

I wonder if the NCAA focused an investigation on a school that is not a traditional basketball power signing a top player, even though Larry Brown's presence at SMU makes it a little easier to understand. It may have had more to do with academic eligibility.

I remember this happened with Brandon Jennings. I'm curious if this will be more of a trend. I tend to doubt it, but it will depend how this works out. But, sending a teenager to Europe or Asia to play with grown men. What could go wrong?

2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I had heard from a friend two weeks ago (and one that's pretty plugged in) that he was about to be suspended for contact with an agent. So I just figured that the marching orders had come through and he was getting out while the getting was good.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It does not seem to a great option, or more players would be doing it by now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Tyler - This kid might have scared some off.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mudiay would have been a one-and-done guy anyway, so it's unlikely any NCAA sanctions would have hit in time to keep him from playing in the NCAA tournament.

It could be academics.

Mudiay's high school, Prime Prep (so named because it was co-founded by Deion Sanders) has had several players who have had NCAA qualifying issues. One of those was Jordan Mickey, who was originally ruled ineligible before eventually being cleared and playing last year at LSU.

Prime Preps' elementary school has been rated the worst in North Texas.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/04/deion_sanders_prime_prep_is_th_1.php

Without coming right out and saying it, Gary Parrish writes that agent contact could have been involved:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24621183/concerns-over-immediate-eligibility-lead-to-smu-losing-emmanuel-mudiay

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I just don't see major dollars being laid out by Euro teams for 18 year olds who want to stay there for only a year.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And these kids are not walking over there and going 20/10 every night. They seem to be bench players.

7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Yup, which is what I stated in the second post of this thread.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's a tough adjustment. If they go to a 2 and done system, I wonder if you will see a more active market.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The word going around here in North Texas is he wasn't going to make it academically (not surprising since he came from Deion's attempt at an athletics factory masquerading as a school), which probably is why he was making contact with agents.

And the latest rumor I heard was that he was likely to play not in Europe but in China.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. That would make a huge difference here.

I think people who ask "why don't more kids do this" are kinda approaching the issue from the wrong end. In large part, the answer is because they're simply not getting the offers. Overseas clubs aren't particularly interested in making a significant investment in a kid they know they'll only have for one season, with a large chunk of that season wasted on the kid simply learning the system and adjusting to the pro world. By the time he's finally ready to contribute he's already gone.

If the NBA went to a two year rule it would change that cost/benefit analysis dramatically, more overseas clubs would be making offers, more kids would be going that route.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Larry Brown was explicit in saying he had been accepted to the university and academics weren't a factor.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tyler also skipped his senior year of high school, and had one less year to grow as a player and a person.

Draft saved Draft deleted