1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emergency Savings: Do you have a cash reserve?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Nov 17, 2008.

?

If you lost your job today, how long could you pay your expenses?

1. 1 month

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. 2 months

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. 3+ months

31 vote(s)
    39.2%
  4. Are you kidding?

27 vote(s)
    34.2%
  5. I married a sugar daddy/momma, I'm set

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Isn't that an oxymoron? An upscale Podunk strip club?

Was it money well spent?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

School administration that tagged on the backside of an elementary education degree. My wife is a speech therapist.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Depends. It was in the middle of nowhere but certainly not a shithole.

It was the greatest non-coital night of my life and I've blown my last two paychecks on return visits. Uh, yes.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Outstanding.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Two years out of school, I've got about $1,500 in CD (matures August of next year) about $1,700 in a savings account and about $3,000 in my checking account.

Somewhere between high school and getting out of college, I became a money miser. I do have a student loan (guh), but no credit card debt or car payment.

Then again, I live in fear of being broke. I wouldn't recommend managing money the way I have from an enjoyment standpoint.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got about $16.48 in change sitting in my office. Almost every dime -- and all the other change -- in my checking is up for grabs at the end of the month. Somehow, the rent is always the first to speak up.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's how I am with soap and toilet paper.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I pity you.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I pay about $350 on my car payment each month -- always at least $30 more than the minimum -- and I could go about four months without paying the bill before I'd get docked. Once I'm done paying that, which should be in about 15-17 months, I'll just consider that a self-inflicted raise. At that point, I'll probably take $250 and throw it toward any other debt and save the other $100.

And, within 18 months, I'll have at least one raise under my belt -- plus two birthdays. Hello, $25 from Grandma.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think you're confusing "pity" with "I wish I were like you on every level, you amazing man, you."

But I could be wrong.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

My dad sells janitorial products, toilet paper included.

During one cold call, he sold an auto repair shop cleaning chemicals and floor mats. He then tried to up the ante and get the owner to bite on some massive rolls of tp, the kind you see in restaurants, etc.

His response: "We don't use it." ::)

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure their walls are clean, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted