1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He's been spoken to. The best I can say is he's been warned not to break news anymore on the board, but he's free to continue to hang out with his treehouse friends there. That's fine.

When Marquis Hill drowned last summer, sports director got a copy of the Coast Guard report and posted it on the fan board before sharing it with the company-owned newspaper or putting it on the joint Web site. In fact, he never shared it.

That's just one of several other examples that come to mind. And yes, he's been known to wear the school colors. He's a graduate, I might add.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

As a general rule, not a good thing to get anything shaved into your head, way before you get to journalism ethics. Unless you're on the team at LSU, just buy a loud shirt and be content with that.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Shockey, I completely disagree with this.

To me, addressing someone as coach is a gesture of respect, nothing more.

I'll call the guys I am familiar enough with by their first names, particularly those on my beat, but if I'll often address a guy using "coach" if I have yet to be introduced to him. I think calling people you've never even met by their first names is a lot more embarassing than calling them coach.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Well, yeah. About 15 percent of the high school games I cover, I have no idea what the coach's name is until I get back to the office and have to get it off the game program while I'm writing. I address those guys as "coach" only if I need to get their attention. Otherwise I just fire away.

But that's not what we're talking about, I don't think. We have a lot of people on my beat, especially a particularly annoying TV woman, who introduce all their questions by going, "Coach ..." It just seems immature and fanboish, not to mention that it implies authority that doesn't exist for the people in the room.

5. I don't know that I understand the hatred for "Coach." It's his proper title. I don't cover sports, but in news I call the mayor mayor, the police chief chief and the senator senator.

Some of those guys may have authority over me, but not necessarily.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Coach. President. Senator. Councilman. Doctor. Mayor.

7. What do you call them if you don't call them coach? Frank? Steve?

Do you just go up to Bill Parcells and call him Bill? I'm not trying to give him more than the proper respect, but to just call him Bill or Mr. Parcells the first time you meet him seems like you're sending a negative message.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

could not disagree more on those defending the use of "coach." what do you call baseball managers, "manager?" "skip?"

it's no wonder these a--holes think they're so important. everyone kisses their rings.

guess we'll agree to disagree. but it's a "vehemently disagree" from me. you don't know the coach's name? find it out. do your job. he/she has a name. use it.

9. I'm not necessarily disagreeing, Shockey. I'm an outsider customed to using titles on the news side. Do you just call them by their first name when you meet them for the first time or do you say Mr. Landry?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutley effin-A, you call parcells "bill." that's his effin' name. i've known the effin' guy for years and have called him "bill" from day 1.

geez, these guys are not elected officials or effin' dignataries of any sort, except in the fanboi world. i'd no more address parcells as "coach" as he would address me as "reporter."

the more you fanbois try defending the use of "coach," the more i'm repulsed. gawd, people.

you're polite and professional. "excuse me, bill, do you have a minute?" or "bill, what were you thinking there?" but coaches need not be addressed by anything beyond their name. gimme a break.

11. What do you call your anger management therapist? :)

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

whatever his/her effin' name is! ;D ;) ;) ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted