1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embargo against royal blue?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ashy Larry, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Why have so many teams changed from royal to navy blue in recent years?

BYU, Pitt, St.Louis Rams, Edmonton Oilers, Seahawks, Buffalo Bills, St.Lous Blues, plus the college and high school I attended.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The new teal.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Interesting theory JR.....you're Leafs have stayed true to their blue!

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ashy, it's a style thing I guess.

Some franchises have such a long tradition that messing around with jersey colours would be sacrilegous: Yankees, Leafs, Canadiens, Packers, etc.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Orlando Magic ... are they still royal blue?

(I used to have a Hardaway No. 1 jersey in the royal blue pinstripes about a decade ago. :D)

6. I can answer this, from the BYU perspective at least. It's all about merchandise and the ability to make a few extra bucks.

I was a student there when they made the switch. The theory was two-fold. First, changing colors meant everyone would have to go out and buy all their fan-boy gear in the new color so they fit in. Second, the some marketing experts sold the athletic department on the idea that navy blue (or as BYU insisted on calling it, Prussian Blue) was a more popular color than royal blue, and fans would be more apt to buy more things to wear casually, not just on game days, than royal blue.

As for the rest of the schools, I couldn't tell you.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Man, I was hoping we'd banned Labatt Blue. *ducking*

8. KP

KP Active Member

My high school went from UCLA uni's to navy blue. :mad:

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So who cut off the world's supply of royal blue?

Those Ay-rabbs got us again. ::)
    _____

I believe "boycott" is the proper term. Anyone can use royal blue, but many are choosing not to.

Draft saved Draft deleted