1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Do you use your personal email to conduct work business?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't think it's "highly unusual" that she used a personal email address for a work email here and there. As the stories have pointed out, both Rice and Powell did so. But exclusively?

It is flat-out bizarre that she appears not to have had a @state.gov email site.

But it also can't have been a secret. Lord, I am on what seems like a thousand internal mailing lists. The SoS is not immune to all the routine emails we get on what seems like an hourly basis, so where did they go?

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Setting up an email server isn't that difficult, although she certainly would have hired someone. Not hard to find a techy intern who can do that.

The two very difficult things with email are:

1) Filtering out all the inbound spam. Difficult, but the consequences aren't that bad, just delete what gets through the filters.

2) Making it so your outbound emails aren't occasionally as spam. This is actually pretty insanely difficult--you have to be sending something like 5K messages a week for an IP address to be warmed up enough to be considered "trustworthy" by many large email handlers like Yahoo, Gmail, etc. So if you aren't sending that many, and she certainly wasn't, then your deliverability rate will likely be <95%, meaning 5% or more of your messages are getting dropped.

A friend of mine, one of the best system admins that I know, runs his own email server and almost always his first email to a gmail recipient gets marked as spam, and he's doing everything possible right, other than he's using his own IP that doesn't send enough emails to have a "known" reputation.

So yeah, technically it's easy to setup an email server, but pretty much impossible to do it really well.

Yes, like crazily so. Especially since the server was running an older copy of Windows. I haven't checked, but I would be surprised if there are multiple known security vulnerabilities in that version of Windows. I actually can't believe she didn't immediately have it taken offline once the media reported it--very, very high likelihood there are hackers who are getting in there right now looking at archives.

My take is this was pretty smart on her part. She knew what she was doing, she wanted control of her email archives, and this was much smarter than running it through gmail etc. I also think it was the opposite of transparency, and that doesn't exactly breed trust in a constituency.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, it's not 55,000 e-mails she turned over. It was 55,000 pages. I'm sure that's considerably fewer than 55,000 actual messages.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Her constituency doesn't care.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The people who care are Republicans and those Democrats hoping and praying that anyone but Hillary will be the candidate even if that means losing the presidential election.

Even then it is the political junkies, as I don't think this has filtered past the message board warriors, green rooms and columnists needing something to write about.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Anyone who supports transparency in government, which used to include most journalists, should absolutely care because, in those terms, this is a huge deal. Regardless of party.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe she feared Bill would send dick pics to her work address.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Transparency is very important ... for the other party.

old_tony likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm just shocked that JayFarrar isn't bothered by this.

And, btw, while Hillary is certainly distrustful of the media, and would have wanted to keep her emails hidden from any FOIA requests, isn't it just as likely that, after a bruising campaign against President Obama, she wanted to keep her emails away from Obama loyalists in the State Department, and by extension the White House?

old_tony likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

old_tony likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

One of my favorite things about the Hillary email scandal -- and I haven't seen this discussed elsewhere -- is her email address.

She used HDR22@clintonemail.com.

Now, when most of us think of Hillary's initials, we think of -- and we often see her name abbreviated/stylized as -- HRC.

But, Hillary sees her initials as HDR.

Any amateur psychologists want to unpack this?

Draft saved Draft deleted