1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email Interviews - Is it ever an OK idea?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JSWiehe, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

E-mail interviews suck because it eliminates your ability to ask those on the spot follow-up questions.

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

I write books, primarily, and am often asked by journalists/bloggers/students/other writers to comment upon the subjects I have written about - usually a couple times a month.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

4. bob

bob Member

I've gone the e-mail route a few times with the GM of the team I cover. He's not generally that accessible otherwise. It's usually just been asking for comments on a player for a feature I was writing. Works well. It's not brain surgery in this case.
    The one question I would ask is this: I often see quotes from people, followed by ..."so-and-so said an an e-mail respeonse." Do you have to add that? Can't you just say, ..."so-and-so said" without revealing it's an e-mail? What difference does it make?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because you can't really be sure the person wrote it. Even if you know it's the guy's email, he could have had some PR flunky write or edit the response for him.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A big reason I insist on adding it, and having reporters add it, is because the quotes used are so obviously written instead of spoken.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Used one recently. Local athlete was overseas, didn't bring his cell because of roaming charges, but was checking email from his hotel. I got all that info from his coach, who was still home.

I emailed the athlete, got what I needed.

Still, the athlete and coach are people I've dealt with a thousand times over. So I trusted it was him.

8. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

If it's the only way to get it done, then yes, I'd go with it. I wouldn't rely on it, and I would exhaust all of my other options first, though.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Echoing what everybody else here said.

Email, like war, should only be used as a last resort. And it should generally only be used with people you know and know well.

GM of the team I cover communicates almost exclusively in text messages. So imagine THAT in print: "Thought draft was gr8, but we'll c. lol!"

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I favor pre-emptive e-mail strikes.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Some prominent sports figures prefer email because they can answer whenever it's convenient for them instead of being tied down by a phone appointment over which they have no control anyway.

If my choice for a Jack Nicklaus interview is having him answer 4-5 questions via email or not getting him at all, I take the former every time. No question.

12. bob

bob Member

I understand what you're saying, Ace, but if you know a guy well enough, as I do this guy, you can be certain it's his own words. When I've thanked him for his responses (on the rare cases he shows himself), he knows exactly what I'm referring to. But it's a good point. All good points. Except the bad ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted