1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elmo's Shocking Death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? Dick knows everything.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The idea would be to deter future parents and other adults from being careless with their guns around children.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I really would like to know what, if any, criminal penalties, might apply in such a case. If there are any smart posters with a background in law, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Hokie_pokie and JackReacher like this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think the parents in this instance were made more likely to do whatever they did (or didn't) because the legal risks they ran weren't severe enough?

5. Dick Whitman

I have no way of knowing in this specific instance whether that's the case. I do know that, generally, people respond to incentives. You are recycling the argument often raised by death penalty opponents.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Criminals don't follow laws, so we shouldn't pass any.

7. Hokie_pokie

...and passing another one definitely would've saved this poor 9-month-old from being shot to death. No question.

8. doctorquant

No, I understand that argument (namely, that the death penalty isn't a deterrent because it's not actually factored into the calculations of those whose actions make them subject to it).

What you're suggesting is that my knowing that I might go to jail for 20 years (as opposed to, say, 10) would make me more likely to secure my firearms around my 5-year-old. I'm saying that would be a ridiculously trivial consideration -- so trivial as to not remotely affect my behavior -- when you realize that we're talking about the life of my 5-year-old.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know. This dead 9-month-old doesn't trump anyone's Constitutional rights, either.

10. Hokie_pokie

Not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive, or why we don't already have enough gun laws on the books. I'm sure you'd be willing to enlighten me.

11. Dick Whitman

Isn't there a signaling aspect to it, though?

Law is passed imposing come-to-Jesus penalties when something like this happens.

Therefore, people apt to be careless with their guns realize that people are sometimes careless with their guns, leading to the death of their children.

Said careless people also realize that this has been enough of a problem that state has imposed a come-to-Jesus punishment for people who let something like this happen.

Said careless people say to self: "Self, this is some serious business here. I should not be careless with my guns."

12. doctorquant

I don't know, DW ... in the interest of honesty, though, I guess that could make a difference. I doubt it very seriously, though.

How many kids die in hot cars every year? I don't want to look up the statistics (because it'll break my heart), but I know the number's greater than zero. Of course there are the cases where the parents (or whoever's in charge) do it on purpose. But there are also the cases where some otherwise decent human being gets distracted and forgets that there's a kid, maybe asleep, in the back seat. I don't think doubling (or tripling) the penalty for that offense (whatever it is), is going to move those numbers. That's where I'm coming from here.

franticscribe and Hokie_pokie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted