1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellen DeGeneres to host Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It has nothing to do with my comfort level. It's the fact that she's long since beat that horse into the ground.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

At great risk, I'll respond.

I know I get really damn sick and tired of the same angle over and over again. When someone writes one column every so often about spouse and kids, OK. When it's every fucking week, it's time to get a new topic.

I blame Erma Bombeck for this shit. When she did it, she did it well most of the time, but then she spawned 545,000 fucktarded clones who aren't funny or interesting, yet think they are.

As far as Ellen goes, I've never watched her shows and never will. But people who did said the same thing said here: She was funny until she came out, and then the same stuff over and over again got really old.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually, DeGeneres' sitcom was terrible before she came out.
    It continued to be terrible after she came out.
    Her second sitcom also was terrible.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Oh, bullshit yourself. It gets tiresome if any comic harps on the same topic. We get it, Paul Rodriguez, you're Mexican. We get it, Larry the Cable Guy: Youre a retard redneck.

Comics can do observational humor about relationships -- Seinfeld comes to mind -- without beating you over the head with their sexuality.

I've enjoyed Ellen's work in the past. I've even seen her live. I always kind of assumed she was gay, and I was fine with that -- until she decided to run that topic into the ground. Ellen's sexual preference does not equal comedy gold. It ... just ... ain't ... interesting.

And guess what? If a comic keeps making jokes about things that don't connect with the masses, pretty soon he/she is working the Funny Bone in Peoria.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good point. That must be why DeGeneres career is in the crapper.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think she "overplays the gay thing" at all... She did on her sitcom, but I've barely seen anything other than a passing reference on her talk show. David Spade was on recently and he talked about having a crush on her when they were working the clubs together in the 1980s and then finding out that "obviously, that wasn't happening..."

It was funny, but not overplayed. I don't think Ellen will do the Oscars with any agenda and I think that's why they picked her...

I think she'll do a great job.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Precisely what I was talking about in my first post. Funny early, got bogged down having to carry the gay mantle, back to being funny now that she doesn't have to do that anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted