1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

elizabeth merrill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clingerman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. clingerman

clingerman New Member

A. I am not Elizabeth Merrill
    B. I never heard of Elizabeth Merrill before today, when I read her fantastic espn.com piece on Mike Coolbaugh.
    C. Does anyone know who she is/where she's from/etc?

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Worked at the Omaha World-Herald for a while, then went to the K.C. Star.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah. More specifically, covered the Huskers for Omaha, then the Chiefs for K.C. before going to espn.com recently.

4. It's been covered above where she has been. But it should be noted she is a terrific reporter and a very nice person. Good to see her regularly on the .com.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Agreed on all counts. I miss reading her on the Chiefs beat.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'll just add to the praise here. She's a gifted writer and a very dedicated reporter. Should be more like her at the WWL.

7. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Here's a link to the article mentioned. She is an extremely hard worker , where some writers there seem to pop up only every once in a while.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954069&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for stopping by, Elizabeth. :D

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Add me to the list of Merrill fans.
    She did a pretty good job for the Star, and from what I understand, got a job too good to pass up at WWL.com.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Another fan of Merrill's. She always put out good stuff since I started reading her with the Star.

11. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

I agree Merill is good. But Jason King, who replaced her on the Chiefs beat, is even better.

12. YaBBforum

YaBBforum Member

Here is one for those looking to be inspired. 10 years ago ... 11? ... something like that, Liz was covering Iowa high schools -- not even Nebraska high schools -- for the Omaha paper. Now granted, even being at a paper that size in the first place is light years away from being a one-man shop taking group photos for the Little League tab. But still, Iowa preps. She worked her ass off. And her rise was not exactly meteoric, either, until recent years. Funny, sweet girl. She deserves anything good that comes her way -- she's worked that hard and she's that good -- and a lot has come her way the last few years. Anyway, I just think it's a good story to tell for anyone feeling stuck. It can happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted