1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eliminating corrections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by toivo99, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Boy I've seen that before, by sports editors and news editors and copy editors.

Shit happens. Just try to be better. That's all you can really do.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

we had something like that only we were never allowed to put down "I just screwed up." There had to be a reason. Lasted a year.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Should then put down, "The reason why this mistake happened is because I took less time to check things out. And the reason why I took less time is because I'm now doing the work of two people thanks to recent layoffs."

My thing about mistakes is that usually, I'd go a long time without making one, then make two in quick succession.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Really, truly, all newspapers should just cease printing if they insist on having no line of defense against typos, libelous material. I think it's scary as hell to think most newspapers are letting their reporters post stories un-edited and post their own headlines. I can't believe how reckless that is. Imagine if you were some rich corporate asshole who owned a newspaper. Would you trust some 22 year old kid to post his/her own stories on YOUR company Website? Or put it in your newspaper? I really truly find it impossible to believe publishers risk their reputations/fortunes daily by allowing unedited copy to go in their papers and on their Websites.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the corrections are for factual errors instead of grammar, etc. In which case, the solution is to develop system (not haphazard) way of fact-checking that works for you given your staffing limitations, or, less ideally, investing some free time in getting to know your locale better -- reading a history or two, visiting historic sites, getting out to some local cultural events such as plays and local bands' gigs. Fun and informative.

6. As a copy editor, I know the whole "I made the mistake because you cut staff and there's no one else to edit me" reasoning sounds good, but it means NOTHING to a boss to hear that. Because you still made a mistake, and their point in the whole how-are-we-going-to-do-this-better-next-time exercise is to figure out how to avoid that.

Like someone said, triage the story. Double check the headline. Check it against the facts in the story. Check names in heads and cutlines against the story. Do the math any time there is numbers. A few years back, after a run of bad errors at our shop, the editor had reporters print out every story they wrote and underline every fact as they double-checked it, and turn that in to their editor. Time-consuming but effective if you're having a string of errors.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Read stories backwards. Finish with the headline. Try and incorporate time to proof in your schedule. Whatever deadline is. Move your own "up" 10-20 minutes for a final glance.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Do you work in the business or do you live in a fantasy land? Reporters checking facts? HA! Many of the ones I've worked with can't spell all the names right. I double-check as much as I can, but with about half as many people working on a given night than a few years ago, there isn't the time there once was to do that. And I doubt anyone would really tell their boss that mistakes happened because they have slashed the staff. The mistake likely happened because mistakes happen. Humans are imperfect. Sure, you can emphasize the need to make fewer mistakes. You will never eliminate them. Especially if your staff barely has enough time to think.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In a thread that will mainly be dedicated to bitching, this is good advice. I forget the first time somebody suggested that, may have been a writing coach at some long-forgotten stop of mine, or maybe in an API session.

I do that quite a bit, especially when I'm having trouble focusing on a piece of work that I've already gone over more than once.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Read backward paragraph by paragraph?

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't care what u all say. Newspapers need copy editors/fact checkers. A reporter can write a story and have a brain cramp, so to speak, and get a key fact wrong. In fact it happens all the time, especially when reporters work 60-80 hours a week and get paid for 40 in this new age of understaffing.
    I stand by my statement: Just kill your newspaper or your Website, Mr/Mrs publishers/bigass companies like Gannett if you refuse to have copy editors.

I mean you can make the silliest mistake when overworked and not even know it. And as we all know, once you hit that send area on your computer, your mistake is out there for Twitter-verse/Deadspin to mock FOREVER.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great post.

Draft saved Draft deleted