1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elian Gonzales is a communist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 16, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So little Elian was forced back to Cuba. Big freaking deal.

That only means that in about seven more years, when he has five kids and a wife of his own, he'll bring the whole family over and begin working in a restaurant in Miami.

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

We all knew this would eventually happen.

I can remember getting into an argument with an acquaintance who said at the time we should fight to keep Elian in this country so he could be free -- despite the fact that he had a surviving parent living in Cuba.

All my acquaintance knew was he needed to stay free at all cost -- even if there was a surviving parent to care for him in Cuba.

It was not an issue of free vs. communist -- it was an issue of family. Sometimes, even in the worst of circumstances, that's what trumps a situation. What was the US supposed to do? Raise an international stink over one boy staying although he had a father waiting for him?

Communism is wrong, but so is the idea of not being with family, sometimes.

This was one of those times.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you this, but a client has to agree to be represented before a lawyer can bring a case. The family wasn't brainwashed.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Tony...you shoudl be embarassed that you'd try to hold up that post. If the courts turned the child over temporarily, then decreed the child had to be with his dad, and the family refused, well....it's kidnapping. Or contempt of court.

When my ex got into trouble and Little Man was living with me, I quickly petitioned to have him stay with me. But had the court later decreed that he had to be with his mother and I refused...well, the authorities would have been well within their rights to come after me.

That you don't see that is sad.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He was returned to his father. That was the right thing to do. That he is now a communist does not diminish what happened before. He needed to be reunited with his father regardless of whether he was going to become a communist or a capitalist.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Yeah, but you have the "ambulance chaser" mentality among some legal circles that promise wealth or fame to the people suing - and of course, it gets their name out there as well.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So in this whole debate, THIS is your argument?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, some people need the compensation when they are suing.

I know someone who was rear-ended in a van-to-van accident at a red light. The van barely tapped the bumper. But my friend ended up with herniated discs because they weren't prepared to take the jolt. They sued and got a six-figure settlement, which sounds nice, but my friend still has pain today.

And back on the thread subject, people forget that Elian's relatives pretty much challenged the government to come in and take him. They talked plenty of trash over how the govt. would take him over their dead bodies.

Then, when the soldiers did storm the house, the relatives started whining about how they came during the middle of the night and woke them up. It didn't dawn on them that the soldiers might charge in while they were sleeping. The relatives complained that coming in the nighttime wasn't 'fair'.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Um, last I checked there was no civil lawsuit involved in this case, so that kinda kills that theory.

It wasn't lawyers that fanned these flames, but it was some Anti-Castro activists that descended on this family and did everything they could to turn what should've been a simple child custody decision into a defiant anti-commie political issue.

And it's amazing how many Americans took the bait. This should never have had anything to do with Communism or Castro, it should only have been about whether that father was entitled to have his son back. And nobody ever came up with a single reason why he shouldn't other than he lives in a commie country.

10. ScribePharisee

Sonofabitch man,
    Maybe we ought not to read each other's posts.... this is a serious communication issue.
    I said before, the father had custody and he had every right to the kid.
    Fanatical Cubans were ripe for an attorney trying to make this a case in the media, and everyone gets their 15 minutes or more of fame.
    They battled for weeks, they got to cry in front of the camera, at least one book was written about it, legal analysts got paid for appearances they wouldn't have otherwise made.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Like I give two swigs of rancid piss about lawyers.

12. ScribePharisee

I'd pour it on them.

Can Elian be considered to replace Tim Russert?

Draft saved Draft deleted