1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I get Ryan. Flacco is 5-4 career in the postseason, with eight of those nine games on the road (I think I saw yesterday that the only quarterback in history to start more road playoff games is Favre). I know he's inconsistent but I think he takes too much grief when ultimately his teams end up about where they should based on the total available talent.

Sorry for threadjack. But I agree Eli's postseasons, now that there are two equally gritty ones like this, are hugely important.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He seems like a guy who almost gets punished by playing in New York because all the rest of us hear is how much he sucks, just because New Yorkers scrutinize their stars so closely.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If Eli plays another five years anywhere near the level he played this year, he's a no-brainer. He's also the best clutch QB in the family, even if he doesn't win in two weeks.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's funny, his biggest crime is often that he's not as good as his big brother, who is considered by many to be one of the top 5-10 quarterbacks of all-time.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

If he's in for 2 rings, why isn't Jim Plunkett in?

Edit: just looked up Plunkett's pedestrian numbers (somehow I remember him as being a lot better than he really might have been), but that was also in a much different era while playing for terrible teams until the last part of his career. Still -- 2 rings...

6. Dick Whitman

You answered your own question.

Two rings isn't the definitive reason why. It is a component of why.

7. LongTimeListener

Plunkett's teams won their two Super Bowls by a combined total of 46 points. The only nail-biter he ever played in the playoffs was the Brian Sipe game, and he threw two INTs in that one. That was always one of Al Davis' big causes, but Plunkett was the ultimate auto-pilot for a great defense.

8. Dick Whitman

I find it hilarious that you are the one to make this argument against a quarterback.

9. LongTimeListener

I always aim to amuse you.

Now, did you start this thread to discuss the topic at hand, or to play out another one of your feuds?

10. Dick Whitman

I think that it is fair to question your consistency on an issue with implications on this topic.

11. Dick Whitman

Also, you, my friend, have been in a lot more feuds on here than me lately.

12. LongTimeListener

Huh ... OK here it goes:

1) We are discussing a potential Jim Plunkett Hall of Fame candidacy. If and when we get to the topic of Tim Tebow's Hall of Fame candidacy, I and others will evaluate him in a similar manner as to whether he stacks up against the best to ever play the position. The Tebow discussion of this year was about whether he was the best answer for the Denver Broncos to complete the 2011 season.

2) Plunkett rarely had to go win a game in the fourth quarter, and never had to do it in the playoffs, was the point of what I posted. Tebow won many games in the fourth quarter, in fact I believe the Broncos set an NFL record this season in that regard.

So, I hope this clarifies and you can move on. And to all who clicked on a thread about Eli Manning and got Rickrolled into a Tim Tebow discussion, I apologize.

Draft saved Draft deleted