1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Eli is much better than Flacco.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's exaggerating, but his point (I think) is that Baugh was considered the elite passer of his time, along with Luckman.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't think anyone on this board was really arguing for such a thing.
    Just making a joke.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Correct.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Christ. Joe Flacco? I know QB rating is a flawed stat, but here's where he's ranked in the league:

2016: 24th
    2015: 30th
    2014: 16th
    2013: 32nd
    2012: 12th
    2011: 18th
    2010: 7th
    2009: 13th
    2008: 22nd

The dude has legitimately been one of the worst quarterbacks in the league for about half his career.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Much better? By what metric? Flacco has a higher career QB rating. I'd say they're pretty similar. Manning has led the NFL in INTs three times. Flacco is 83-55 in the regular season, while Manning is a pedestrian 108-91. Flacco is 10-5 in the playoffs, Manning is 8-4.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

and yet if he wins another ring, he will definitely get elected. 10-5 in the postseason with 1 SB ring, 3 AFC title game appearances. And I say that as Steelers fan.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No he hasn't. QB rating is almost exclusively dependent on interceptions. He throws a lot because of the Ravens' belief in throwing it deep. But unless you'd really trust a metric that puts him behind Gabbert, Fitzpatrick and Hoyer, give up on using that.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

just going to add since there is often too many Steelers in the Hall comments across the sports universe ( and I know Buck was joking)

Steelers from the 1970s in the Hall: Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Greene, Ham, Lambert and Blount. That is nine. Plus, Noll, and two Rooneys.

Packers from the 1960s in the Hall: Starr, Hornung, Taylor, Gregg, Ringo, Jordan, Davis, Nitschke, Robinson, Adderley, Wood. That is 11 plus Lombardi and Emlen Tunnell, who is in the Hall because of his Giant years, but he did play in two title games with the Packers.

Raiders from the 1970s in the Hall: Stabler, Blanda, Biletnikoff, Upshaw, Shell, B. Brown, Otto, Hendricks, L. Brown, Guy. That is 10 plus Madden and Davis and Tom Mix, who is in the Hall for his years with the Chargers, but finished out the line with Raiders.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

FAKE NEWS!

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - That's kind of why I brought him up as a "pure" example of the Winners Win kind of argument. Eli Manning has two Super Bowls, but beyond that, he's probably been a Top 10, or close to it quarterback, for most of his career. He's not Brady or Manning or Rodgers, but I think he's on that next tier down, meaning he can win with average to above-average teammates supporting him. To me, guys like Flacco (or worse, Trent Dilfer) are another rung down, but Flacco probably does get a decent amount of HOF consideration if he gets another Super Bowl.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It all depends on how much longer Flacco plays -- is he one of those guys who doesn't want to play past 35 -- because I think even with a second title he'd be looked at as a rich man's Jim Plunkett

Draft saved Draft deleted