1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess he'd almost have to win two weeks from now to get consideration. But assuming he does so - a big assumption, I understand - what say you? Although I don't necessarily agree with the notion, I think Tebow-mania was a reminder of how much people consider winning in their appraisal of a quarterback. Would that be enough to get Eli into Canton?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's the NFL, so yeah.

3. JingleBells

JingleBells New Member

Is this a parody thread?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No way. Not yet, at least.
    He's earned a lot of respect this season but he's still barely cracking the top five list of NFL quarterbacks right now. Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning and maybe Roethlisberger are all clearly ahead of him. All of them, except maybe Roethlisberger, have better passing stats. All of them have at least one ring and (except Peyton) are in a good position to win more before they're done.
    Quarterbacks are the glamour boys and will get plenty of representation in Canton. But when you look at how long it's taking people like Cris Carter, Andre Reed or Tim Brown to get in, simply because there are so many great receivers from their generation, and I'd say Eli has a LOT of work to do yet before he's in the discussion.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised how many HOFers have lower career passer ratings than Eli: Aikman, Esiason, Moon, Starr, Tarkenton, Fouts, Elway, Unitas, and Griese. Of course, playing in today's game where he currently ranks 41st all-time behind even Carson Palmer and Joe Flacco - it might hurt him. A second ring would help, a lot.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy is eight years into a career that's likely to be almost twice that long. At a similar point in his career, Brett Favre was a three-time MVP who was headed for the very shortest list of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play; after five years of his own career Tom Brady was headed to six or seven Super Bowl rings. Stuff changes.

If he has eight more years like this one, sure. If he gets hurt or the magic goes away, no. But it's absurdly premature to even start kicking it around.

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

He could get in if he has another 5 years like this years and wins another 2 super bowls.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd be more inclined to consider this Super Bowl as a referendum on Tom Coughlin's chances. Hall or no, he will go down as the most unnecessarily maligned coach of his era.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

eli is a galvanizing player, one who has come under more scrutiny because his last name is 'manning.' folks in the anti-eli camp better wrap their heads around this FACT: the second he wins a second super bowl they can start preparing his hof likeness. two time super bowl winners who pile up the numbers he has already with many prime seasons left is a no-brainer. if he becomes 2-0 in supes vs. hs holiness brady there will be no way to keep eli out.

heck, a couple of more seasons like this one, most assuredly if more super bowl appperances are in store, will make the 'peyton or eli debate' move from ridiculous to quite valid. a win over the pats makes eli 9-3 in the playoffs wiyh two supes. heck, peyton is just 9-10 with one!!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd like to see how his numbers stack up to Aikman's and maybe Kelly's.

If his career ended tomorrow, I don't think he gets in, but I think he's headed in that direction.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

boomer isn't a hof'er. but this is why 'passer rating' has ALWAYS just been a stupid formula the nfl adopted in the vain attempt to quantify good qb play. i've never heard it used as an effective hof-argumeent tool.

qb's are most accurately judged by their team's record and postseason results. espeially now, when successful young qbs like ryan and flacco are consistently ripped for not winning playoff games.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

i promise you if eli's career ends in 2 weeks, after his second super bowl wi over the pats, he's in. no doubt about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted