1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elgin Baylor sues Clippers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think the last graph sums up Baylor's chance of winning this case.
    His departure could have been handled better, but he held the job way longer than his performance merited.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Elgin Baylor, the former Los Angeles Clippers general manager who left the team last fall after 22 years, has sued the franchise, the NBA and team owner Donald Sterling alleging employment discrimination.
    Baylor's attorney, Carl Douglas, said the lawsuit was filed Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court.
    Baylor plans to hold a news conference Thursday to discuss the lawsuit, which also names club president Andy Roeser, Douglas said in a fax sent Wednesday.
    The lawsuit maintains that Baylor was "discriminated against and unceremoniously released from his position with the team on account of his age and his race" and that he was "grossly underpaid during his tenure with the Clippers, never earning more than $350,000 per year, when compared with the compensation scheme for general managers employed by every other team in the NBA."
    The NBA is named in the lawsuit, according to Douglas' fax, as "a joint venturer/partner of condoning, adopting and ratifying this discriminatory practice since the league is fully aware of salaries paid to all of the general managers."
    Clippers attorney Robert H. Platt said in a statement Wednesday night that he had not seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment on Baylor's specific allegations.
    "However, I can categorically state that the Clippers always treated Elgin fairly throughout his long tenure with the team. Prior to his decision to leave the team last October, Elgin never raised any claims of unfair treatment," Platt said.
    "It's hard to believe that he would now make these ridiculous claims after the organization stood by him during 22 years and only three playoff appearances. It would be hard to find any sports team that has demonstrated greater loyalty to its general manager."

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How about a countersuit, charging fraud for impersonating a GM?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suppose he, Isiah Thomas and Matt Millen could bring a class-action suit.

FWIW, $350K does seem a little light for a GM. But Elgin was never really in much of a bargaining position, was he??

If anywhere along the long and winding road, he felt he was being underpaid, he should have gone to Sterling and demanded more. :p

Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting? ::) ::)

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

Wha-Pah!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe Elgin is suing them for gross misconduct...i.e. employing him for so long.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Bingo - Has there ever been a worse general manager to hold his position for more than, say seven or eight years -- much less 22?

He must be out of his damn mind.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Or broke.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Put this in the you get what you pay for file.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame it all on saliva

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I blame it on this site

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This has nothing to do with Elgin Baylor or the lawsuit or the Clippers, but I really like this photo.

[​IMG]

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Is that Elgin with David circa 1976?

Draft saved Draft deleted