1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elena Kagan nominated to replace Stevens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

That's really a bummer. If only she had been nominated to be a Federal judge, we'd all have more information. What's that? Oh, well if she was nominated and rejected by the Senate, I suppose we can consider that, now, too. What's that. Oh, nevermind, then.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

KAGAN:
    1986-87: Clerk for Judge Abner Mikva, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
    1987-88: Clerk for Justice Thurgood Marshall, U.S. Supreme Court
    1989-91: Associate in Private Practice, Williams & Connolly
    1991-97: Assistant Professor and Professor, University of Chicago Law School (1991-94 as assistant professor)
    1995-96: Associate White House Counsel
    1997-99: Deputy Assistant to the President, Domestic Policy Council
    1999-01: Visiting Professor, Harvard Law School
    2001-03: Professor, Harvard Law School
    2003-09: Dean of Harvard Law School
    2009-10: Solicitor General of the United States

REHNQUIST:
    1952-1953: Clerk For Justice Robert Jackson
    1953-1969: Private Practice in Phoenix, AZ
    1969-1971: Assistant USAG, Office of Legal Counsel

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

God, whatta hack![/blue]

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

bitch can't keep a job

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Never let it be said that Rehnquist didn't know his Gilbert and Sullivan.

6. Honestly, I don't really take anything you post seriously. Under both of your handles, you're so partisan that it affects your intellectual honesty on par with O_T and any other rampant partisans on SportsJournalists.com. Obviously Brooks is partisan. And he probably treated the two differently, as all partisans do. Including you. But regardless of who it came from, I think there's a kernel of truth about our system being so steeped with land mines that a brilliant person has to keep her legal thoughts secret for 30 years so as not to torpedo her Court chances.

Looking forward to my next PM from you about how I "outed" someone by noting that he used to post under his own name here. Talk about wrong.

7. Make that three handles.

8. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I read where all the judges will be from either Yale or Harvard Law School. (I think Ginsburg? transferred and graduated from Cornell or some other Ivy League school).

Not that I'm anti-intellecutal or whatever. Just interesting.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ginsberg went to Cornell as an undergrad. She actually has her law degree from Columbia. She started at Harvard (at a time you could count the women at Harvard law on one hand), but transferred to Columbia when her husband got a NYC job.

10. I'm sure Columbia loves to keep reading that all nine justices went to Harvard or Yale.

11. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Either way, I guess you gotta be kinda smart and stuff.

I bet they totally aced there SATs.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

On the "Jews from Flatbush who went to Cornell undergrad and Columbia law" list, I think that she ranks slightly above me in career achievement. I have heard her speak about her treatment as a female law student/graduate, and while the stories are not as bad as what O'Connor tells from Stanford, it is amazing how far the legal profession has come (or how backwards it was) in 50 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.