1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Time in Canada. Conservative government loses vote of non-confidence

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 25, 2011.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If the folks that voted Harper in make a stink about this, fuck them. They re-elected Bev Oda.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Time for greens, NDP and libs to seriously sit down and talk coalition, formal or informal. Enough strategic voting.

Parties should lead by example.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

If she even really exists. I'm starting to wonder.

Speaking of raises, the NDP also elected a 19-year-old kid who thought he was going to have to get a summer job at the local golf course.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The 19 year old kid is at least a politics geek, claims to watch CPAC!

The 4 McGill students hit the lottery on this election. 160K per year plus tax free allowances and benefits.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The key is sticking around for six years to get a pension.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kinda sad. With six years I think you qualify for something in the neighbourhood of $30,000 a year.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What a paper candidate Ruth Ellen Brosseau turned out to be for the NDP. She hasn't been to the riding she was elected to represent and didn't graduate college, even though her NDP bio lists a diploma. She'll turn out to be a great "Girls Gone Wild" MP or did she get that out of her system during her Vegas vacation?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-democrat-doesnt-have-diploma-despite-inclusion-in-biography/article2016933/

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The election of someone like Brosseau is irrefutable proof that many Canadian voters think our electoral process is a fucking joke. Which it is.

I gotta say, though, it's been fun to watch people's heads explode as they contemplate (aka scream bloody murder about) the Conservatives having won a majority despite getting only 39.6 per cent of the vote.

Guess they forgot about Jean Chretien's three consecutive majorities, which his party won with 41.2, 38.5 and 40.9 per cent of the vote.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Brosseau visits her riding, flanked by NDP Deputy Leader Thomas Muclair. Her photos are interesting because she looks pretty in some and scary in others in the gallery The Globe and Mail ran.

One other comment, how many MPs are single mothers? I haven't heard of anyone in Congress being a single mom running a successful election campaign.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/deputy-ndp-chief-by-her-side-ruth-ellen-brosseau-at-last-visits-her-riding/article2018579/

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wouldn't exactly say Brosseau ran a successful campaign, given that she didn't actually campaign. She put her name forward and then she went to Las Vegas, only to come back and find out she was winning in a riding that she had never bothered to visit because she never imagined she would even come close to winning.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Isn't her success measured by the number of votes? I'd say it was quite successful.

Now, whether it was a good campaign, or a well-run campaign, that's certainly not the case. Semantics I'm sure.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She's riding the NDP's coattails. It's evident the voters in the riding didn't care who the NDP candidate was, as long as it helped the NDP.

Draft saved Draft deleted