1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Election Night Pizza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I prefer, "hey newsside designers, can I show you what going into 2nd, 3rd, 4th and final edition truly means?"

:)....

And, if I have to hear another yankee news editor talk about how the south just doesn't do pizza right, I think I might hurt someone.

2. Spot on, Dave. But make mine sausage and green peppers, or ham and pineapple if I'm feeling exotic.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess the more important question is what days does upper management spring for pizza/food for sports? Mine usually springs for food for those who have to work on Christmas, Thanksgiving, the first night of the HS football playoffs and the Super Bowl... There are other days when they do it as well, but those nights specifically seem to be a given...

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The liberals will have tofu. It's environmentally unsound to eat meat.

5. Mizzougrad96

One of my friends works desk at a major paper and management stopped ordering food at all because a vegan copy editor on news side filed a formal complaint with human resources because she felt "excluded"

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'll take a veggie pizza, and I've worked both elections in news and football Fridays. The biggest thing I found is that the news reporters at the paper I worked news at just struggled with deadline writing. They rarely did it, and they're lack of experience made election night hell.

And we're getting massages in addition to pizza tonight. Now I wish I didn't have the night off.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I dated a vegan once. They're weird, and tofu is among the fouler substances on Earth.

8. Mizzougrad96

I have no problems with vegetarians, but all vegans should be shot...

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Every year, the officials of the local midget baseball tournament use our newsroom as their headquarters to gather results for the two-week run of the tourney.

The second Friday night of the HS football season, the president and VP of the tournament brought in a 15-foot party pizza for the department.

I continue to wait for the first time the news executives have ordered pizza for us.

Extra cheese and baby shrimp. Just for mine.

10. Our EE NEVER springs for food for sports.
    The company treats the whole office to a (catered) Christmas and Thanksgiving and will do a summer cookout at the office at least once in the summer. That's about it.
    After we did a special summer section, I got the publisher to take the sports department out for a sit-down dinner as a thank you.
    I will bring in donuts for the guys and put it on my expense account.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Nice.

Have any of you who are editors in sports or have any of your editors ever asked the ME or EE to order fod for sports if you thought the staff deserved it? There's a better chance you'd get your wish by doing that than if you just complained you never get what news gets, blah, blah, blah.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're working the wrong room here, pallister. Give it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted