1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edwin Pope's Super Bowl streak ends

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I put this in the Super Bowl thread, but it will get buried. Plus, the Pontiff is a legend and the news deserves its own spot here.

He covered all of the first 47 Super Bowls. No reason is given for why he's missing this year's game, but he is 85. The story only says a "handful" of sportswriters remaining to have been to every game, but Edwin might be the last one, though I'm sure someone can correct the record.

Again, a legend and one of the nicest people I've met and worked with.

One hell of a run.

http://bit.ly/1ecS2vf

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My old paper had another one of the guys who'd been to every Super Bowl. The NFL always really encouraged those guys to keep going. Every year, the paper would get another credential or two by saying, "Well, I guess Old Timer can't go if we can't get more credentials." The NFL always came through.

3. MileHigh

Looks like there are only two left who have been to all of them: Jerry Izenberg and Jerry Green.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just posted this on the other thread, Mile High, but I don't like the sound of this, especially the "no reason given." I sure hope and I'm wrong, and Ed, who is indeed one of the most wonderful people I met in sportswriting, is quite well and just decided he didn't want to shiver for a week in New York.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The weather's got to have something to do with it.

My dad's just 69, and cold weather absolutely wipes him out because he takes blood thinners. Add the general stress and strain of travel to that, and maybe Pope just figured it wasn't worth it.

Or maybe he's ill. He IS 85, after all.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Green's streak ended a few years ago.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd put Dave Klein, formerly of the Newark Star-Ledger, on that list.

8. MileHigh

This Jerry Green piece ran a couple of days ago and the tagline says he's one of two sportswriters to have been to every Super Bowl and he is there this week.

http://bit.ly/L64bXh

And it's my understanding it was determined a while ago Edwin wasn't going to the Super Bowl; it's just coming out now because it's Super Bowl week. But the story was a bit cryptic.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Klein, Izenberg and Green have been to them all. However, I think there is is one more out there.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't Pope still Miami's Hall of Fame voter?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Deadspin is.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That was good. That was very good.

Draft saved Draft deleted