1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Education Funding, why so low? Educational Crisis in US

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Apr 1, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You think maybe it would be a little different if it was the age of instant information back then?
    How about Ted? Also would think the same question could be asked about Nixon's father and raising him.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Anyone else see in their jurisdiction/area how people will fund without blinking an eye $$ for building new infrastructure for schools (new campuses, fields, remodels) but balk at any increased funding for actual teaching time/teachers/aides?

Its ridiculous, LA taxpayers will fund a multi-billion capital improvement project (parcel tax) but won't push new taxes for like actual funding. The same dynamics are throughout California (my clients build those projects). One city funded $85M for a new HS, but you know what? Level of education is going to be the same (a very poor performer).

You say throwing $$ at education is not answer. From my view, I've seen schools where there were 4 computers for the WHOLE elementary school vs schools where there were multiple computers for EACH CLASSROOM (and iPads for everyone). Once school struggles to get any school supplies, another has no problem getting supplies and has TWO sets of textbooks for the kids, one for classroom, one for home. There's a world of difference and $$ matters.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Nope. My area spends a shitload on schools and teachers. Starting salary with a bachelor's degree and no experience is $50K. Lots of old folks live around here, too. They're proud of the school district.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Throwing money at the problem" only works at the Department of Defense. Everybody knows that.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So here is the deal, and here is the facts
    If you ever wonder why they can't stop crack
    The police department, is like a crew
    It does whatever they want to do
    In society you have illegal and legal
    We need both, to make things equal
    So legal is tobacco, illegal is speed
    Legal is aspirin, illegal is weed
    Crack is illegal, cause they cannot stop ya
    But cocaine is legal if it's owned by a doctor
    Everything you do in private is illegal
    Everything's legal if the government can see you
    Don't get me wrong, America is great place to live
    But listen to the knowledge I give

cjericho likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Don’t make a history teacher cranky. 68DE74F9-CCF4-4119-B314-9B7138F2C4D1.jpeg

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes...and a little bit no.

Kentucky teachers don't want defined benefit plans phased out in favor of 401ks.

Well, defined benefit plans have crushed local and state governments all over. You're not getting defined-benefit plans anymore when people live until they're 90.

Teachers in Kentucky are eligible for retirement at 50.

That's suicide for a budget. Defined benefits for 30-40 years?

I'm against defined benefit plans for any city/state employees. Cops, firefighters, whatever.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm telling ya...you don't want it. An America where every parent stands up for his or her kid is one itching for a big ol riot. We'd rip each others' throats out. It'd be a massive disruption, and not in your favor.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, the statehouse is the entity proposing teachers throw their pension onto a giant roulette wheel. After the last crash, can anyone anywhere be surprised folks don't have much confidence in the 401K proposal?

How about the state propose some sort of reasonable compromise?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted