1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edmonton

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matamoros Blues, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Not a joke. Not a dig. Honest question.

Someone I know will be going to Edmonton in mid August. Traveling with a 12 year old. They know about the West Edmonton Mall, but other than that, are there any suggestions for things to see and do. Shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. Mainly family friendly activities. Thanks.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Once Beef wakes up he'll be able to help you.
    As far as I know he's the only Edmontonian around here.

Now, if you need to know about Calgary, ask Flash.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, I got nothing ... same as Edmonton. ;D

4. So Flash, are you saying the Edmontonians are only useful when they come and spend their hard earned loonies at the Stampede?

No Provincial love?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The only thing the two cities share is a mutual hate for the Centre of the Canadian Universe

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've stayed in five-star hotels around the world (not on my dime, mind you) but the Hotel MacDonald remains my absolute leader in the clubhouse, non-beach division.

There's also a great running trail along the river there.

7. JR,

Why do they hate Jones?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Pretty much, yes.
    And stay away the ballpark at Sherwood Park. They built a lovely 13-diamond facility for us softballers and didn't put in running water. Only porta-potties, which are rarely cleaned. But if you really want to find it, just follow the stench.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Mid-August? If they are there for Aug. 11 make sure to get tickets to the Eskimos game, they are playing the Saskatchewan Roughriders, will be one hell of a game and atmosphere. Tickets are very reasonable as well:
    ADULT YOUTH

$50.00 $26.50 Prime Seating - Lower Deck
    $42.00 $22.50 Prime Seating - Upper/Lower Deck and Undercover (0-30 yard line)
    $35.00 $19.00 Choice Seating - Lower Deck
    $28.00 $15.50 Budget Seating - Upper Deck

It's a 60,000 seat stadium so they should be able to get tickets somewhere, if they want to avoid the drunk Saskatchewan fans, ask about the family section.
    Also if they like minor league ball, they can check out the Edmonton Cracker Cats of the Northern League, and watch Canadian legend Stubby Clapp play.
    There is a small zoo in Edmonton, although it does have nothing on the Calgary Zoo.
    Let me think on this I have to go for lunch here, I'll be back with a better list, i hope. Are they flying in or are they driving?

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

CRACKAS!!!!!!!!!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You mean you have an airport AND roads?

12. Flying in August 17 and out August 24. Child will be with grandparents only, no parents, August 21 - 24. Grandparents don't live in Edmonton. Appreciate any ideas to pass along. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted