1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Edmonds: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BartonK, May 12, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

As does every professional athlete in the world.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If there was a baseball Hall of Very Good, I would check it out.

Maybe there should be one. Kind of like the NIT is to the NCAA. Well, maybe the old 32 team NCAA.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think the Hall of Very Good would be a huge attraction. What do you say we put in Tahoe?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. Not even close. Exciting player. Not HOF.

But I do like him better than Jack Clark...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

First off, not even in the HOF ballpark.

And second, if somebody mentions Jim Edmonds' name 35 years from now, I'll remember one hell of a center fielder and a career worth of highlight-reel catches.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hate to bash the gold glove party here, but Edmonds and Kenny Lofton are exhibits 1 and 1a on how much of a farce the gold glove voting is. They made some spectacular plays, but I'd contend they often made catches look harder than they really were. That over the shoulder stuff? Overrated.

As to the original question, hmmm ... are there any outfielders in the HOF who don't have 2,000 hits? Maybe Edmonds gets enough votes to stay on the ballot two years, but one and done would not come as a surprise.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Hey, he could possibly come back for the Cubs, according to the Tribune, and maybe get 1,850 hits and 380 HRs and be inducted into the Hall-of-the-very-good on the first ballot.
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080511-greg-maddux-chicago-cubs,1,3434464.story

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

What about Ray Lankford? HOF? :D

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm sitting this debate out, because I'm preparing for the "Tim Wakefield: HOF?" thread.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah, the Cubs need ANOTHER center fielder who can't break .200. ::)

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He wouldn't belong in the Hall of Fame if he bought himself a ticket.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Only if he buys a ticket.

Draft saved Draft deleted