1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editorializing in photos: Bachmann edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Outstandingly well done.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

You'd rail with rage if Hillary or Michelle Obama had had this done. But Palin, Bachmann, fair game.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's the problem with today's electorate, they want to elect someone who they can "have a beer with."

Hell, I want to elect the smartest person to be my president/representative/senator. I want them to solve the hard problems that I cannot figure out; like world peace; not whether they can catch a football or pretend to be a soldier (not only talking about W, but also Dukakis.)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I firmly believe it should be a requirement for office to be able to go into a fast food restaurant and order something off the menu without holding up the line for 10 minutes. Just as a reality check, be able to order a Big Mac without having someone behind you wanting to punch your teeth in. You can be as smart as you want, but if you can't comprehend the difference between a Whopper and a Big Mac, can we really trust you to understand how your decisions effect people's everyday lives?
    A basic knowledge of sports follows the same line of thought.
    You don't follow sports? That's OK. You have important things to do. It's hard to follow a 162-game baseball season when you're running the country. Just please, for the love of god, don't act like you have 12 fantasy teams and are flipping around on the Extra Innings package in between congressional votes. It only serves to make everyone involved look like a doofus (see Clinton, Hillary).
    For all his faults, that's one thing I truly like about Obama. He's stuck to his guns on being a White Sox fan, to the point of wearing White Sox gear to the all-star game in St. Louis. He didn't put on a Cardinals hat for the sake of a photo op and to score brownie points with swing state voters.
    That shows moxie. I can respect that.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At least twice called Cominskey Field.

Couldn't name his favorite player.

Not a fan.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I highly doubt he ever said Cominskey Field. And I don't know why he would ever go ahead and call the "field."

He may have referred to it as Comiskey Park, perhaps. Hell, I still do that every once in a while. I don't think ability to adapt to the corporate name of a stadium is a good way to measure someone's fanhood.

The favorite player thing is much worse and I think shows that he's not the diehard that he makes himself out to be. But the thing White Sox fans like is that he doesn't sell them out when it's politically expedient to do so, which is what Batman was getting at above.

He did the same thing when everyone was jumping on the Saints bandwagon when the Bears beat them in the NFC title game, saying IIRC "This fairy tale ends in Chicago."

Now is this some type of grand, awesome thing that makes him impeccably qualified to run the country? No, but it's nice to see.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely.

As a ChiSox fan of absurd duration, will note this is NOT a good thing, not at all. But it's a Kerry-level football-style misdemeanor, not a felony.

BO's also acknowledged that he was an Oakland A's fan when he lived in Hawaii.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Isn't Cominskey Park in the 53rd state of Chicagostan? :)

And, like JakeandElwood said, he's shown a propensity to back the Chicago teams instead of donning a Cardinals cap when he's in St. Louis, a Yankees hat in New York, etc. At the very least, he seems to have some level of hometown fandom in him.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A lot of people in Chicago will call Soldier Field Soldier's Field. Drives me crazy, but they would still self-identify as sports fans.

I have no idea how a president with two young children would have any time to follow sports whatsoever, other than Pac-10 basketball for obvious reasons. Hell, I barely feel like I have time to follow it to the degree I want to, and I'm sure most parents of toddlers with a job and some interest in the world other than sports on here would agree.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well, I stand corrected on the Cominskey Field thing. That's pretty bad.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He also did it a second time:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/04/president-obama-praises-cominskey-park/1

Jake, did you think I fucked up the name?

Draft saved Draft deleted