1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editorial Decision: Omit #40's Name from the Story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by snuffy2, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You got me there. Nothing important ever happens on prep beats.

Kids don't ever die during practice. Coaches don't ever sexually abuse kids. Players aren't ever arrested or given money or have their grades changed.

And if any of that did happen, we would look the other way or beg a watch dog news reporter to help us.

Because we're small town entertainment writers whose job it is to get names in the paper, unless it's the name of someone who has done something embarrassing.

Thanks for setting me straight, SmallStain.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You're welcome. When one of those things happen, you can pass it on to the news desk.

3. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Horny ambulance-chasing writers will never understand the logic that should separate and protect 17 yr old kids from a control freak high speed ' I have a story... "Pay attention to me because I am a self absorbed story teller and despite knowing or caring little for the people involved I have a news flash." This is the intersection where sports writers race lawyers for a well deserved place in Hell. "I can't believe that this an issue"... Are you a moron armed with type keys? Can you not understand some basic boundaries? Lawyer. Money. Click Keys. Worthless sensationalized story teller.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I fail to see the point of debating non-journalists (or sock puppets) about journalistic ethics.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is becoming performance art.

"Ambulance chasing writers" is a great line and better band name.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

snuffy2 never disappoints. :D

And it's "Horny Ambulance-Chasing Writers." Get it right.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Snuffy's contention that the kid will somehow be protected by omitting his name from the story ranks up there with my belief that if I ignore the NFL it will go away.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

And this is why we're still called "the toy department."
    So you mean when a local football player nearly died on the field, I wasn't supposed to fight for the story (wasn't much of a fight because our news editors are incompetent)?
    When the local coach was killed in an auto accident on a Thursday night, I wasn't supposed to go to the basketball game the next night and see how his athletes and the rest of the school's athletic community was reacting?
    That's a joke.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, you do what you want. The "pass it on" was a joke. There's no reason you can't put on your "serious journalist" hat when something like that happens if you feel the need to do so, and still understand that srs bzns is not the majority of your job.

But if you feel like you have to cover football games and football deaths in the same way in order to have ethical integrity, I'm probably going to roll my eyes a little at your ethical rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted